Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big Display Problems- Literally.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jack243

Jack243

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:55 AM

Hi all.

Here's the deal. A few days ago I reinstalled Windows XP Media Center on my Dell Dimension e310 pc. Everything went smooth during the process.. until I saw my desktop. The icons were larger than they use to be.

I clicked on the start menu- same thing. Taskbar- yep, it too was bigger, even the options when you right click were bigger in size. I opened a folder in Windows to see if explorer was ok- it too was abnormally large. I opened IE and everything was bigger. The Graphics- text, pictures, ads.. you name it, it was bigger. I minimized the text size to the smallest option, and I still had to sit far back from the pc so it wouldn't hurt my eyes. And that did no good for the other aspects of webpages that can't be minimized. Every webpage I click on I have to work the horizonal scoll bar because everything is so spaced out and big. I never had to do such a thing before, and medium text size was perfect for me before. It hurts my eyes to be read anything online for more than 10 minutes, and I use to read for hours online. Even this website is much larger than I remembered, and the text size is still on the smallext available and I'm still sitting far back from the pc to avoid getting dizzy.

Here's what I've done so far.

-I checked my display settings. 800 by 600 pixels. I went down to 1024 by 768 pixels and then everything becomes extremely small. There's no inbetween it seems.

-I went over every option on my E176fp_f monitor, that didn't help at all. I've downloaded the driver for my monitor and there was no change.

-My video card is a Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset. I uninstalled the driver and let it reinstall once I rebooted. I was hoping it would help but it didn't.

-I've thought about, and will probrably upgrade IE to see if that helps with the largeness of webpage graphics in any possible way.

ANY help with this would be so appreciated. I have never came across such a problem before and it has me completely stomped.

There is something that I think may be affecting things but I'm not sure. "Auto adjust in progress" flashes across my screen whenever I am booting up my pc, it does it twice, once when the Windows XP logo comes up, and then another right before the welcome screen comes up before my desktop loads up. Auto adjust in progress never use to flash on my screen ever. And now it does it everytime I reboot, making my screen jolt. Maybe I'm reaching for anything abnormal, but if I hope that tibit helps.

I should also state that my pc is having no other problems- except the abnomal size of every single facet of my pc. Everything is twice as big as it use to be, and I hope I can get to the bottom of it.

Thanks in advance to any answers or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:48 AM

While in display settings, did you
Look in Appearance tab/Effects? Is Use large icons unchecked?

Also in Appearance, Advanced.
Click on the drop down arrow for Item, choose Icon. Reset the size. Click OK, when the box closes click Apply on the main display box.

For the taskbar, you can resize by using Appearance/Advanced.
Active title bar-reset the size.
Ok, then Apply.

I can't help you with explorer and IE webpage size.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

All of these issues can be remedied by installing the proper video driver. I appears that the latest proper driver is available for download at support.dell.com under Video.

Click HERE for the proper page for E310.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users