Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device Malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stazi

stazi

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:40 AM

I recently reinstalled windows (clean install to XP SP3 RTM edition). I can't figure out if my USB stick is screwed, or my drivers are screwed, as when I put in a recent USB flash drive (8gb) purchase, it says that the device malfunctioned.

I have included a pic of what my device manager says. Should they all say USB2?

Posted Image

I also downloaded Everest and found that my peripherals are:

USB1 Controller Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - USB Universal Host Controller [B-0]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-0]

Now, does that mean that 4/5 ports only support USB1 at present? What can I do to change them to USB2?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:32 AM

remove the unknown device and reboot

everything else looks like it should

I think I remember seeing that unknown in mine or another i did a clean install on?

make sure the usb drives are not plugged in or turned on when you boot up?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 stazi

stazi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:35 AM

looks like my thumb drive is merely corrupted. oh well, luckily nothing to do with my usb drive

#4 stazi

stazi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

did some more tests, and it's def. my thumb drive. is there any way to reformat it if it's not being detected properly?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:22 AM

I couldn't find any reference to thumb drives when googling similar infections, everyone reloaded their computer tho

new vundo variant for all I know?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=798468

try this, I hope you didn't reinfect your computer so soon after reinstalling windows
Chewy

#6 stazi

stazi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

I couldn't find any reference to thumb drives when googling similar infections, everyone reloaded their computer tho

new vundo variant for all I know?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=798468

try this, I hope you didn't reinfect your computer so soon after reinstalling windows

I really doubt that I got any infection from my pen drive :thumbsup: it just seems that i corrupted the data when i removed the drive without doing the right click > disconnect drive option. I mean, it's not even detecting the flash drive as existing, so it's not an issue about it running a file. You scared me for a second as I put the drive into three other computers to test, and didn't want to have been responsible for infecting them

and the infections you googled were merely driver problems. when you reinstall windows, there may be driver incompatibility as the default drivers sometimes don't support the devices.

Edited by stazi, 07 May 2008 - 10:58 AM.

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:18 AM

Just a thought...When you put the flash drive in the other computers did they see it? You stated that you removed the drive without stopping it...not really a good idea...try to re-boot with the drive installed. I've had to do that before and it should show up again. If it does you should be able to re-format it then.
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

it just seems that i corrupted the data when i removed the drive without doing the right click > disconnect drive option.

that's a violation of the usb specification and causes a voltage surge that burns drives up
Chewy

#9 stazi

stazi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

it just seems that i corrupted the data when i removed the drive without doing the right click > disconnect drive option.

that's a violation of the usb specification and causes a voltage surge that burns drives up

The bad thing is that I do that veeery often. My computer has options to optimize thumb drives for quick removal. I'm guessing his didn't, which is what did burn it up.

Oh well, screwed thumb drive on warranty is much better than a virus. Yay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users