Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Lac Connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smoky299

smoky299

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:18 AM

In Network Connections I have one which is called "1394 Connection" and in Device manager there is one network adatper called "1394 Net Adapter".
This isn't allowing me to connect to the internet through our Belkin Router.

I have a cable running from my PC to the Belkin router and on the router a light indicating that the cable has been successfully plugged in is on.

My main problem is i have no Local Area Connection in my Network Connections folder. I have no drivers for my computer since it is basically a cable no other hardware. There is a CD I got for my router (router only i think) and one that I got from my ISP when they were NTL but the installation fails before it can install anything, I remember it failing the last time I had to format my PC but I still managed to connect to the internet.

I am using another computer on the network which is wirelessly connected and it is working fine.

Does anyone know of any drivers that I could use to create a Local Area Connection????

Thanks in advance
Gordon Reid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandit21

bandit21

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

hi smoky,

If you don't have a local area connection icon on your network connections windows have the following reasons;

1. you do not have a 10/100 baseT ethernet adapter(Network Interface Card) installed on your computer
2. if you have one(check the back of your tower, newer computer(2003 above) have built in ethernet adapter installed on the motherboard if it does that means you have to run and install the driver CD that came with the computer in order to install the driver but if you already lost the driver CD, check the exact model number of your motherboard with the built in ethernet adapter and use the other computer to search and download the correct driver and save it on a portable USB hard drive or on a CD then use it to install the driver.
3. another suggestion would be installing a wireless adapter(USB, PCI) adapter on your computer for it ti have wireless capabilities just like the second computer.

Hope that explains why your computer does not have connection through your belkin router.

regards

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

Smoky:

1394 FireWire is a connection that is more geared towards MACs. It is also popular on external storage devices. So this connection, regardless of connection status, will not have any positive effect on your LAN connectivity.

You definitely need to have a Local Area Connection object if you are going to take advantage of your hardline connection over Ethernet. Ethernet being the hardline connecting your PC to your Router. This uses RJ-45 connection terminals on the end of the cable. It looks similar to a telelphone connection cable, but having more twisted pairs and pinouts in the cable and on the connection jack itself, its about 1.5 times the size of a twisted pair telephone cable.

If you are connecting your PC to your Router via Ethernet cable, you definitely have the appropriate Ethernet PCI NIC card on your PC as well as within your Router. What you are probably missing is your Ethernet NIC driver for your PC.

I would start with the Computer Management console and determine if you have any devices present on your PC for which there are no appropriate drivers installed by doing the following:

right-click My Computer >> choose Manage

This will bring up the Computer Management console. From there you will want to select the Device Manager in the left hand pane. You can also call up the Device Manager by doing the following:

click Start >> click Run >> type devmgmt.msc >> press [Enter]

What you want to do within the Device Manager is right-click on the Local Machine, which will appear as a computer icon at the top of the device tree. Then select Scan for hardware changes. This will poll the hardware devices present on your PC which are present. Devices which do not have a driver installed for them should appear with a Yellow icon with a "?" symbol within them. You may get a generic device such as "PCI device" with the Yellow icon with a "?" symbol in them.

If you are able to connect an Ethernet cable from the PC to the router, but you do not have a Local Area Connection connection object in the Network Connections applet, that would tell me that there is a PCI device (Ethernet NIC) present which does not have any recognizable drivers installed for it. The cable is connecting the PC to the Router. However, the PC does not know how to initiate the Ethernet NIC (PCI Device or card).

Check into that and then post some feedback; we'll go from there.

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 14 May 2008 - 11:29 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users