Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 leebosay

leebosay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:02 AM

:thumbsup:

Hi. this is my first post here. I have been working on a friends computer and in the process came across this site and combofix.

The computer seems to be running ok now, but the instructions for combofix state that even if your computer seems to be fixed, it is strongly suggested that you post your log file on this site so the experts can examine it. However, at the top of the forum that deals with viruses and malware, it states exactly the opposite! What is the correct course of action?

Leebo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:41 AM

The best course of action is:
1. Post about the problem the computer is having in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, with information about what is happening and error or warning messages. Some of the more knowledgeable Members or staff will suggest an approach to fixing the problem that may or may not require you to submit logs.
2. The confusion about posting logs is really about under what circumstances and especially WHERE to post them. Interpreting the data in these logs requires a great deal of experience and expertise, as does providing removal instructions that will not harm your computer. To prevent suggestions made with the best of intentions, but without real knowledge about the logs, BC prefers they be submitted to our volunteer staff of experts for analysis and help once it is determined that the logs are necessary and useful.
I hope this eliminates your confusion.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 07 May 2008 - 08:42 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users