Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Sure If I Have A Hijacker Or Other Malware Program?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:26 PM

Hello Everyone

When I check the McAfee Security Center and check the Rports and Logs then View logs. I see that my computer is trying to contact itself. Is that normal? Before I had my previous computer problem of it crashing after start-up, I never saw that before in the logs. But after reformating the Hard-drive and doing the Factory Condition Reset. I am seeing it.

I am not sure what to do about it. I do not know if it a hijacker using my computer to access my computer and then send out the info, or some other type of malware or if this is just a normal operation of the computer?

If anyone has had this type of activity on their computer or knows what this could be, or can help me figure out what is going on with my computer. HELP!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:20 AM

Hello Again!

Let me clarify what is happening! When I open the McAfee Security Center,Then click on "Reports & Logs", then on the right hand side,click on "view log". Then I go down to the "Internet & Network" line and then expand it. I click on "inbound events". That is where I see that my computer is trying to access itself via UDP port 30086.

Now my questions are: Is this some sort of a malware? or Is this a program on my computer trying to access or send information back to my computer? or Is this a loopback? or is this something else? or Should I even be concerned with this?

It never did this before, my problem with the crashing after restart. Then after I did the Factory Condition Reset and Reformatted my Hard-Drive, That is when this started to appear! That is why I am concerned about what it might or might not be.

I hope this clears up any confusion I might have caused by my wording or misunderstanding of what I was trying to say. I know I can be a little unclear with my descriptions at times. I hope this is a little better for everyone! :thumbsup:

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

It's going to be hard to answer your question

Understanding all this is like trying to contemplate "the meaning of life"

http://isc.sans.org/

this organization monitors port use

http://isc.sans.org/services.html

here's a list

when you add plug and play port mapping then it's hopeless

:thumbsup:
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:57 AM

Hello DaChew

I did not think it would be so difficult to solve this problem. WOW! THis port thing is sometimes confusing to me! I do not know much about ports myself. That is why I was wondering, if my computer trying to contact itself is normal or not normal.

I will try that link you provided to see what that can do for me. I will then let you know what I find out if anything.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

I never did solve the "meaning of life" either
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users