Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack3

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 darkrose

darkrose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

just wondering if anyone has or had any issues installing the update? my install went fine except when i went to turn off my computer a window appeared saying end program-the MCI command window. any idea what that means? i tried to get into my task manager to look but no luck. just curious on that process. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

Hi darkrose,

My install went fine. My advice is do a complete antivirus and malware scan before install. During install, make sure you have programs like IE, adobe, firefox... closed. I also temporarily shutdown my antivirus and firewall - turned them back on after completion :thumbsup:

What was the exact message that you received?
Were there any other problems noted?
Were there any issues before your install?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hi darkrose,

My install went fine. My advice is do a complete antivirus and malware scan before install. During install, make sure you have programs like IE, adobe, firefox... closed. I also temporarily shutdown my antivirus and firewall - turned them back on after completion :trumpet:

What was the exact message that you received?
Were there any other problems noted?
Were there any issues before your install?

Hi rigel, all the window said was the MCI command window was ending- and that any unsaved data would be lost if i ended the program.the program ended up being unresponsive and i just closed the window- and my computer turned off. i get those messages every once in a while-it's like i don't give the computer enough time to end the programs that are running. otherwise my install was perfect and i can't believe how much faster my computer is. :thumbsup: oops- i never shutdown my firewall or security. no damage though-yet :flowers: do you know what the MCI command window is? thank you.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

The only thing I can put my finger on was a topic saying a help window was left open during shutdown :thumbsup: I will continue to look around rose and post back in a bit. :flowers:

Glad the update went well!

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:22 AM

The MCI Command seems to have something to do with Media Control - so I'd suggest ensuring that there wasn't a CD/DVD in your drive when shutting down, and that all Media Player type applications are closed before shutting down (to include those that are resident in memory - you can stop these in the Processes tab of Task Manager). To open Task Manager, just press Ctrl-Alt-Del

Other reasons for this seem to be malware related or corruption of the assorted media aware programs. If stopping everything before shutting down cures the problem, then start selectively shutting down some of the apps until you're able to narrow it down to just one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:31 AM

I installed from WinUpdate on one computer and did a manual install of the redistributable download on another system...no problems with either one.

I changed nothing on my systems...IE 7 intact on each, firewalls/AV/malware-prevention programs all running. I did run chkdsk /r (as a precaution) before installing on either system.

Louis

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

I'm not planning to install XP SP3 but it looks like there are issues specifically with computers with AMD processors and anyone who has upgraded to IE8. Here's a link from Appscout outlining the problem followed by a link to Jesper Johansson's work around for AMD machines and a link to Microsoft's Jane Maliouta's blog regarding SP3 & IE8. Hope this helps some folks out.

http://www.appscout.com/2008/05/continuous...for_amdbase.php

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/0...-and-xpsp3.aspx

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:53 PM

Well I am running AMD so I don't plan on getting SP3. Yet.

#9 geoffo

geoffo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

I am also being chicken and holding off for a while before I upgrade. One thing I was wondering was what about any critical updates that start arriving after SP3? Is it important that these shouldn't be updated until after I've upgraded SP3?

Geoff

#10 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

I am also being chicken and holding off for a while before I upgrade.

Me too!

I don't know when it is the right time for me. I am a bit reluctant since my laptop came pre-installed with Xp Media Centre Edition and I don't have any CDs... I am kind of undecided whether I should upgrade online or request an Xp CD (SP3) from my laptop Manufacturer because I will need the CD one time or another.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

Note that the AMD problem seems to affect pre-built computers with a factory-installed image of XP
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hello all,

The best way to install SP3 without any problems, (that is if you have downloaded the stand alone pack and not received it through windows update)
shut down, suspend and/or exit any and all security programs, close any and all open windows and then disconnect from the internet.
Proceed with the install and it should go smooth, fast and without a hitch. Upon restart, your security programs should restart as well, reconnect to the internet and you should be good to go.

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hello all,

The best way to install SP3 without any problems, (that is if you have downloaded the stand alone pack and not received it through windows update)
shut down, suspend and/or exit any and all security programs, close any and all open windows and then disconnect from the internet.
Proceed with the install and it should go smooth, fast and without a hitch. Upon restart, your security programs should restart as well, reconnect to the internet and you should be good to go.

To add to that, it would also be wise to do a virus scan and a malware scan or two, and create a restore point
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:57 PM

For any of our members reading this thread, here are a few helpful links:

Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3
"Includes all previously released updates for the operating system, in addition to a small number of new functionalities that will not significantly change customers’ experience with the operating system."
Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
(addresses late-breaking issues and information about: IE7, RMS, MUI, Scripting, Remote Desktop Client 6.1, XP Media Center Edition 2002)

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3
"The computer must be running Windows XP with Service Pack 1 installed. Microsoft recommends that you have Service Pack 2 installed before installing SP3."
Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3- Troubleshooting SP3 installation
Minimizing XP SP3 woes - Updated
Windows XP SP3 - What You Need to Know: New Features
Jasper's blog: Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3?

---------------------------------------------------
XP SP3 CDs available from Microsoft.

SP3 CDs cost $3.99 plus $5.99 shipping. They are currently on back order but should be ready for mailing in early June.

Call MSFT at 1-800-360-7561 and choose option 2 to Place an Order.
Next chose option 1 to Place Order for a Service Pack.

A representative will take your order and billing/shipping information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hello all,

To add to that, it would also be wise to do a virus scan and a malware scan or two, and create a restore point

Thank you, I knew i forgot something, especially the restore point

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users