Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Subpoena Ip Laws

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 buggsy

buggsy

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:40 PM

I have windstream and live in Kentucky .
What I would like to know is what is the laws pertaining to someone who Subpoena's your Internet provider for user id and records .
I know some internet providers will send you a letter telling you someone has a Subpoena for your records and then this gives you time to file a SQUASH order
Does anyone have KRS statue numbers or info ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MishY

MishY

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:59 AM

What did you do that would have you worried about a subpoena on your internet usage?
This info will help in ascertaining if it's federal or state statures that you maybe guilty of violating.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:37 AM

From the Windstream website under 'Terms and Conditions':

Privacy and Customer Proprietary Network Information
You authorize us to monitor and record communications to us regarding your account or the Services for purposes of quality assurance. We will not give you notice of any subpoenas or court orders related to your account or use of Services unless required by law. Information in our billing and customer care systems concerning your account and your use of Services belongs to us, and you have no expectation of privacy with respect to such information. You agree that we may release information we have about you when required to do so by law, to provide to third parties solely for the purpose of assisting us in providing any Service to you, or if we reasonably believe that an emergency involving immediate harm to a person or property requires disclosure. We may analyze your account and usage information and share this information with other Windstream entities to communicate with you regarding Equipment or Services that may become available to you. If you do not want us to provide your information to other Windstream entities for this purpose, please notify us.

Additionally any information you receive here is not to be construed as legal advice. If you feel you need legal advice, consult a lawyer in your legal jurisdiction.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 buggsy

buggsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

Sorry it took me so long to post back i couldn't find this post .

Here we go on a chat board we have had a local dirty Judge executive election that I and others have been pointing out the dirty and crooked little tricks that have been played out by a Democrat candidate that were ethinacly wrong .
By us posting our opinions the newly elected Judge , she doesn't like it and has had entire forums deleted , And has threatened that her and the county attorney has everyones IP address and Knows who everyone posting is and is threatening with slandering lawsuits .
now I have read Windstream TOS. but what does this exactly mean ? " We will not give you notice of any subpoenas or court orders related to your account or use of Services unless required by law. "

I would like to know what Kentuckys required by law is . I know that some providers TOS states that they will send to their customer a letter stating that they have recieved a subpeona for their records and they will not release the information for 10 days witch gives the customer time to file a Quash Order .

And NO i'm not worried but I would like to know if the Judge exec and county attorney have broken laws or just peaing in the wind .

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

As stated above, you need to contact an Attorney in your jurisdiction for advice.
This is not a forum that can provide such.