Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse "locking Up"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 intriguing

intriguing

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:35 PM

So... I'm unsure if this is the correct location to post this, but since it's the OS this computer runs on...

The problem is as follows. I've been using this computer for a great deal of years, and without much err. Since just a week or so, quite recent, the computer sometimes produces a "beep" from the machine itself, after which both mouse and keyboard will "lock up" and the computer refuses to accept any input from either device. This usually lasts for a second or two, three, after which the computer will react to signals from both keyboard and mouse again.

The problem does NOT arise while typing, (or has not shown up so far), but while moving the mouse, whether in excess or just lightly, the problem occurs. This irks me, as it has not been a problem before but now annoys me when I want to perform a single thing such as open the Start menu.

My question would be, is anyone aware of what could be causing this problem, and if so (or maybe otherwise) what a possible solution is to fix this? If it holds any relevance both keyboard and mouse are a "Trust" model, wireless.

Hoping you folk'll be able to show me the way to fixing this annoying problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:43 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the "lock-ups".

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 intriguing

intriguing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

Now here we have a bit of a problem. I just checked in the event viewer, and look as I might I cannot find any specific events happening in any of the past three minutes, although the problem mentioned has occured around seven times within that time period.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Do you have another mouse that you can try?

Also, try checking that the battery in the mouse isn't going flat.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 intriguing

intriguing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

Well, the mouse, despite having wireless capabilities, is connected to the wireless receiver by a cable that charges the batteries, thus... Kind of defeating the purpose of being wireless, but ensuring it won't run out of electricity unless the machine itself does (in which case the mouse requires no energy).

I do not own any other mouses that I could replace the current one with, although I could try borrowing one from a friend.

I've further discovered that the problem I am suffering from has the following traits:

1) Happens only when moving the mouse.
2) Does not subside until mouse has not been moved for a short period of time.
3) Affects keyboard and mouse, although all programs running will continue running as normal.
4) Makes a beep from the machine itself whenever the problem occurs.
5) The remote receiver for the wireless signal gives off a signal which suggests it receives the signal from mouse/keyboard: Whenever the mouse is moved, or clicked, or anything, the otherwise yellow light will flash red for the duration of usage of the mouse. However, when the problem occurs, the yellow light will remain red when the mouse is being used/attempted to be used, or otherwise turn green when keys are being pressed, all the while not responding.

I've been considering that the problem may lie in the wireless receiver, but since this computer is sometimes used by others I have not excluded the possibility of one of them somehow messing up something in the machine itself, and was hoping there would be a solution to this problem that is both easy and accessible.

Tomorrow, I will try borrowing a mouse and keyboard from a friend to see if I can reproduce the problem with different hardware. If anyone else, however, has any idea what the problem could be, or has any advice as to how to handle this problem, it'd be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users