Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With My First Build...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 burkish127

burkish127

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

So I'm building my own PC, first time ever. I have some knowledge of how everything works, but I'm certainly no expert. I intend to build a pretty good gaming machine that I won't need to upgrade any time soon. Vista Ultimate 64bit. I did some research and I want to do an SLI build. I'm only buying one video card for now, though, because of the price.

I've been browsing and I think I've found a set up I like, but as I said, I'm no expert. I tried to figure it out myself, but I'm not sure if all these components are fully compatible with each other.

So I was wondering if these things will all work together and if they're good choices. If anyone has any suggestions for alternative choices, I'm all ears.

I've noticed everybody on here seems to use newegg.com. I found all my stuff on TigerDirect.com because that was the first site someone referred me to. If newegg is better, I'll try and find all this stuff there once I know it'll all work together.

Here's what I got so far...

1. Case
Thermaltake Black Kandalf Full-Tower ATX Case with 11 External Drive Bays, Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports
I've heard complaints from people that motherboards and PSU's don't fit in their cases. I don't know how to determine if my choices will fit.

2. Motherboard ***Updated to support the DDR2 Memory
EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard - A1 Version, NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

3. Processor
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Processor EU80580PJ0606M - 2.50GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor

4. PSU
PC Power & Cooling / Silencer / 750-Watt / Quad PCI-Express / SATA-Ready / Black Power Supply

5. Memory
OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)
These are so cheap I'm considering getting two of them, so 8 GB total (4x2048MB). Would that be worth it/would it work?

6. Video Card
EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDMI
If this is a good choice if I'm planning on eventually getting a second card to take advantage of SLI?

7. Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme PCIe

8. Hard Disc Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM
I'm planning one getting two of these.

9. DVD Drive/Burner
Philips SPD2415BD SuperAlwrite Internal Drive DVD Retail - 20x DVD±R, 8x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD-R DL, 48x CD-R, 12x DVD-RAM, Black
I'm going to get two of these also, and I plan to eventually get a Blue Ray Drive.

10. Monitor
Samsung 220WM 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 700:1, 1680x1050 (WSXGA+), D-Sub, DVI-D, Black

11. Keyboard
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
I'm not a fan of the price or the color of the newer model, that's why I picked this one.

Also, I don't really know what to look for in cooling systems/fans. And I don't know what chords, wires, screws, etc. I'll need that aren't included. Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by burkish127, 06 May 2008 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ozymandias90

Ozymandias90

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

That looks like a pretty sweet setup.
After looking it over, everything there should be compatible, so no worries.
For the case, there should be specs somewhere on the interent on both the size of your motherboard, as well as available space inside your case. Mostly this isn't a problem, since case sizes and motherboard sizes are pretty much standard, barring ubercomputer motherboards and oddly shaped cases.
Memory: If you wanna drop the extra money, its a good way to ensure that this computer will be able to run anything and everything for the forseeable future. If not, I don't know a game out there that has requirements higher than 3GB (Assassin's Creed), so four is more than enough.
Video Card: I'm running two of those in SLI, and they run like a dream, so yes, its a good choice.
Cooling: With this setup, you'll need to lay your hands on another cooling method, if your feeling fancy, do some research into liquid cooling blocks. This setup is going to generate an enormous amount of heat, so make sure to pick something suitable. Look here for some options: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1588
For more info regarding cooling methods look here: http://www.xoxide.com/computer-cooling.html
Cables: I would wait until you have your hands on all the components and then go out and get any cables that still are needed. that way you don't end up dropping a good amoutn of money on a set of cables and end up not needing them.
The only other thing I would warn you about is being careful with ordering from TigerDirect. While it is all dirt cheap and good equipment, I have some troubles with them, especially receiving products that don't work and have even gotten sent a cheap Korean knock off of the motherboard I bought (There's a good story there...). Just make sure all your products work before giving them a good work through, as their return policy can be tricky to negotiate.
Anyway, just a heads up, but you should be fine, as I still order my parts from there regularly. Good Luck, there is no better feeling than using a computer you just built from the ground up!

Edited by Ozymandias90, 12 May 2008 - 06:44 PM.

Look Upon My Works Ye Mighty, and Despair!
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core QX9650 3.0Ghz~EVGA 780i Motherboard~4GB Corsair PC8500C5D DDR2~Four Hitachi 1000GB 32MB 7200RPM~Two NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB Liquid Cooled~1100W Modular Power Supply~Voodoo OMEN Aluminium Chassis w/ Signature Ancient Forest Paint

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

Look up your same parts on newegg.com they are probably cheaper

Your case looks like the thermaltake armor case but what is the big aluminum circle in the center of the drives for or is that there just for looks??
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users