Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real Topic Or Annoying Questions?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

Hi all. I've been reading quite a bit here since I joined. Not near as knowledgeable as most of you are, but in my small circle I'm like IT when it comes to computer issues. (I come from a family that has a high tolerance for things not working smoothly) Anyway, as I read, I get questions about what I am reading. Nothing major, just one line answers. Is it against protocol to insert these questions into the topic thread I am reading, kind of like a 'er, excuse me, I was wondering....'

Also, I've been gathering a list of things that happen on my computer and probably require short answers only. Must I break my list into topic areas, or can I post em all in one post? (f'rinstance, one is about firefox, one is about the task manager and one is about IE. I guess they are all related in some way.)
as per usual..Thanks!!! :thumbsup:
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

What you are asking are very good questions. These are what are known as forum etiquette questions. I'll do my very best to answer them for you.

Is it against protocol to insert these questions into the topic thread I am reading, kind of like a 'er, excuse me, I was wondering....'

This is known as hijacking a thread, and not considered good etiquette. The best thing to do is create a new topic for your specific question and link to the topic that prompted your question. This way each person gets individualized attention and it lessens the chance the subject matter will stray off course from the original posters issue.

Must I break my list into topic areas, or can I post em all in one post? (f'rinstance, one is about firefox, one is about the task manager and one is about IE.

It is best to break down your questions into individual questions. Also keep in mind that you might want to tackle each issue separately so that you do not compound the problem in a 'related' as you say issue. Also it is much easier to follow just one thread at a time so as to not confuse you and or the multiple people trying to assist you.

I hope I have answered your questions. If not don't hesitate to ask. And best of luck in your forum adventures and tackling your issues.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

I would only add to Animal's answer that lumping all sorts of unrelated questions or problems together generally results some of the questions or topics never getting answered as other points do and the thread expands into forum heaven. Often, those who can help will not see a topic , since many tend to spend their limited time in forums in which they have expertise or in which they feel comfortable enough to provide help.
Again, people wanting to help with, say, one specific question/topic/point, must scroll through each and every reply many of which might not be at all pertinent to the one they wish to answer; they may give up looking for their interest when the thread becomes lenghty. Forum etiquette is based upon years of actual experience and tends to make the difficult process of internet dialogue as easy and as focused as is possible.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users