Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scheduled Task Computer Name Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joyjg

joyjg

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

I am using Mcafee and found that my scheduled task for the msk_abimport_daily has my computer name\owner set as some erroneous name that I never setup. If I try to change the computer name to the correct name I get an error with the password, which I don't have, and it resets back to the erroneous computer name in the "run as" block. Any suggestions appreciated. joyjg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:59 PM

Is this an XP computer? Have you scanned from safe mode with your AV?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 joyjg

joyjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:05 AM

Yes the system is running XP. I was able to get around this with some info I got on another board that I posted. Here are the instructions I was given and was able to get the computer name to change:

When the windows task is created it grabs the current Windows logon ID and use that credential to run the task at specific time. The xxx\yyy indicates xxx is your domain name or computer name and yyy is your user ID. Now, to check what the computer name and user ID is stored on your computer, you can go to My Computer’s Properties page, then go to “Advanced” tab and click on “User Profiles”. This should show you a list of computer name and user ID stored on your computer. If the MSK_ABImport_Daily’s Run as field does not correspond to one of the entries, try the following steps.
1. Delete all the address book import schedules in Anti-Spam UI.
2. Delete all the windows scheduled tasks that start with MSK_ABImport_*
3. Now, add a new “Windows Address book” daily import schedule in Anti-Spam UI.
4. In Windows\Tasks, the new task should be created as hidden. Open the property page.
5. If the “Run as” field is still using some user name that does not exist on your computer, uncheck the “Run only if Logged on” box.
6. Now, in Run as field, type in one of the user names exactly as it’s shown in the User Profile page as mentioned above.
(Make sure that user has administrator privilege.)
Click on “OK” and it should prompt you for that user’s password. If the password is correct, it should be ready to run.
To test run, you can right click on the task and choose “Run”. Check and see if the task is run and the last run time is changed accordingly. "

In my case the computer name being entered for the MSK_ABImport_* was not showing in the list, so I still don't know where that came from, but I was able to change the "run as:" field sucessfully and got the scheduled address update to run.

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem. Joyjg

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

Thank You for returning that info. :thumbsup: It's a good thing.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users