Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Motherboards & Processors Are Best

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chandannasta

chandannasta

• Banned
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:29 AM

Guys I would like to know which motherboards and which processors are best in today's time and they can run in future for 10 or 15 years. That means if a person buys that motherboard or entire computer today he should be able to use it till the year 2020 or 2025 I am talking about that type of computer. Guys also I would like to know if the motherboards and processors that you are going to give information about are they going to be compatible with each other. I would like to know best motherboards and processors for gamers, for normal users and for official users but they should be compatible with each other.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

Building a computer to last that long isn't really practical, as to which is best, this would depend on what you intend to use this computer for. About the only definitive thing that I can say at the moment is that the Core Two duo PCUs seem to the best out there...for the moment.

If you are a gamer then you will need to make some decisions as to what type of graphic system you are going to use. For example if you are going to wish to run dual graphics cards you will have to decide whether you are going to use SLI or ATI Crossfire. Once you make this decision this will dictate what boards that you will use. As you refine the components that you wish to use the choices of motherboards narrows making it simpler to make your choice.

I'm sure that there will be other who will add their thoughts as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

Good luck maybe 5yrs max
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 Ron Devito

Ron Devito

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

I would have to agree with five years and even that is stretching it. I was actually planning on building my current system next year (with whatever would be the best/standard at the time), but multiple points of failure in my old machine (a single core P4 2.8 Ghz on a Soyo motherboard with 2.5 gb RAM and a GEForce 5700 AGP card) forced me to do the project this year. My prior builds to that were a Pentium II, and a 486/66. So, already, we've gone back 12 to 15 years. Before that, I had an IBM PS/2 55sx (a 386sx 16 Mhz machine), a Commodore 64, and before that a Vic 20. I was around 12 or 13 when I got the Vic 20, I'm almost 39 now. So that's 26 years divided by the six machines I've had equates to 4.33 years per machine. In my case, these were do-it-all machines, and this is still true today.

I think four years is a safer number. Each of the technologies over the years had a high-end, a middle and a low, but the life cycle tends to be the same -- in my opinion. I think when building/buying a machine, the focus should be more on what you want to do with it. You don't need to build a high-end liquid-cooled machine with two, three or four video cards to surf the 'net or do office apps and building it that way will not forestall obsolesence by much more than a year or so. You do need to build such a machine if you're gaming, doing CAD work, video and audio work, flight simulation, or are simply an enthusiast who wants to experiment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users