Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Avg 8.0

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CheckNerd

CheckNerd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:12 AM

I use the older version of AVG and it contains infected files in the virus vault.Now, I want to install the latest version of AVG 8.0. My question is whether uninstalling the older version will make my computer vulnerable to viruses/trojans already present in the virus vault?

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Nobody is perfect & I'm Nobody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

I would suggest deleting the quarantined files as a matter of course, especially if they have been in it a week or so and you have had no functional problems with your applications. The reason they are there is to allow you to recoup if a file is placed there erroneously (say, a false-positive).
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

I would suggest deleting the quarantined files as a matter of course, especially if they have been in it a week or so and you have had no functional problems with your applications. The reason they are there is to allow you to recoup if a file is placed there erroneously (say, a false-positive).
Cheers,
John

TRUE

Also I use AVG 8.0 as well I think it's very good. Ya what jgweed said delete all your quaritine files. If you want to change to AVG 8.0 that's fine, however; people are having some promblems using AVG 8.0.

just an aside; be aware that avg 8.0 'antivirus (etc)'holds a bigger punch and material in it than the avgantivirus 7.5 program does ; I have noticed on other forum sites that foks are having problems with this aspect ;so you may well BE having computer conflicts with your other programs

as an experiment you MAY wish ( as many others seem to have now done ) to try removing the avg8.0 program and revert to the avg7.5 program pro temp???

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#4 CheckNerd

CheckNerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:57 AM

I don't get it. The files in the virus vault are those that for some reason weren't quarantined.I've 31 files in the vault ocupying 1.7 MB of space.Some of the files are healable but when i try to heal them I get an error message that the 'file couldnt be handled properly'.

Virus vault itself has several options, such as, 'wiping', 'healing' and 'restoring' the infected files.I wanted to know that if i wipe off the infected file(s), would it only delete the file(s) from virus vault or remove it completely from my hard disk?

Thanks!
Nobody is perfect & I'm Nobody.

#5 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

HI,
That's a good question I was wondering about that before too. I think when you delete/wipe I think it deletes the registry key and the file. NOt sure about the file part. IN AVG 8.0 once you delete it within virus vault I am sure the file gets deleted and the registry key because I checked it after I delete the file in virus vault
Hope that helps

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#6 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:31 AM

as an experiment you MAY wish ( as many others seem to have now done ) to try removing the avg8.0 program and revert to the avg7.5 program pro temp???[/quote]

How would you uninstall version 8? I updated from 7.5 thinking I had to by the end of May and now I seem to have a trial version of 8 that's going to end in 30 days? I would just as soon go back to 7.5 until the end of the year.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:36 AM

While you may have downloaded something other than the free version, you can uninstall it by using the MS "add/remove programs" in the Control Panel.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users