Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alot Of Problems Converting Mkv & Wmv To Mpg

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 10inchpianist

10inchpianist

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

I have some movies I want to convert and split. Some in MKV and some in WMV. Both are x.264, 1920x800 resolution, AAC audio. All are about 8GB. The MKVs are in 2 parts, one about 5GB other 3GB. The WMVs are one file. I want to convert them all to MPG and split them so no file is more than 4GB (FAT 4GB Limit) so I could put them on my iPod and play them on my PS3.

For the MKV...
I tried MKV2VOB, it worked great for one of the movies, but then I tried it with another movie, and I got a "BeSplit Crashed" error message after the "AAC to AC3" conversion happened. I tried with the other movies and I uninstalled and reinstalled the application, same error keeps coming up.
PS3 Video 9 doesn't run. Whenever I double click the icon, I get an error message saying Press OK to terminate or Cancel to debug, which doesn't really get me anywhere.
Total Video Converter gave an "Can't Resample" error message.
GotSent and MKVmixer (or is it MKVmagic?) didn't work, don't remember why exactly. :thumbsup:
So now I tried to use txmuxer to convert the movies to .m2ts. So when I added the MKV file, it added the video track, but not the audio track. Someone said I have to take the audio and video track out of the MKV file. But I don't know how to do that.

So I need to either get MKV2VOB working again (Preferrably), or find a good application for taking the audio and video tracks out of the MKV files. And for the WMV files, I don't know any good converter/splitter that could convert HD. So can anybody help me out please???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

http://forum.doom9.org/

Seems like all the guys that write those programs post in this forum, I gave up trying to understand it a long time ago
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 10inchpianist

10inchpianist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

Yea, its just that I can't post a thread on that forum until I've been registered for at least 5 days, and its been like 2 days since I created an account. Thanks anyway.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:29 PM

it usually takes a lot longer than 5 days to know where to post a question, the answers are already there

you have decided to take up brain surgery and rocket science all in one endeavor

http://www.videohelp.com/convert

you could do a little homework first

your welcome
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

Note, MKV is a container (btw, WOOT FOR H264!). It stores audio and subtitle tracks, which is why you would have no audio. MPG is easy, I use this guide for converting to MPG. I don't know which dimensions you'll get since mine were all the same size, but it'll leave no overscan should you decide to burn it to watch on TV. Sync is perfect, and quality is probbaly not going down a lot. Subtitles work too.

If you want to extract the files from the MKV use MKVExtractGUI. I think you also need MKVToolNix as well.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#6 videospot

videospot

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:44 PM

I am using Total Video Converter which supports converting MKV format to any formats video.

Find free version at rapidshare

#7 10inchpianist

10inchpianist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

Total Video Converter gave me a Can't Resample error. I'll try using MKVExtractGUI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users