Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Load Printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donnar

donnar

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

I have an emachine 533i, running Win98 SE. For some reason the printer stopped working. I tried to reinstall the printer drivers from the CD, but the CD won't autorun, and clicking on setup.exe didn't work, either...nothing happened, no messages and the file didn't run.

I downloaded the latest drivers from HP and expanded them. Same result. Can't get the setup.exe to run, CD won't autorun.

I don't usually use Win98 myself, but I seem to remember from a couple of years ago a problem with setup.exe...maybe a virus or something. Anyone know about that?

Any other ideas?

thanks, donnar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:03 PM

donnar: Welcome to BC, a very cool place. I'm a lightweight around here, but until one of the heavyweights jumps in, here are some things to try.

1) You (or someone) may have disabled AutoRun, either on purpose or by accident. I disabled mine a long time ago because I don't want the machine to do anything until I tell it to. Go here for instructions on how to disable (or in reverse, enable) AutoRun.
2) But just to try to get your printer CD running, you can insert the CD then start it by going to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and then click on the "Install" radio button @ the upper right.

Please post back and let us know about your progress.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:52 PM

First thing I'd try would be: unplug power from the printer. Wait one minute. Plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, uninstall the printer software completely. Unplug power from the printer. Restart. Replug the power after a minute. Re-install the software from scratch.

Unlike Win XP, Win 98 programs can easily get corrupted. Even if the drivers work, the programs that run the printer need to work, too.

#4 donnar

donnar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm away from that computer at this time, but I will try the suggestions. You may need a little more information about the sequence of events.

The printer worked up until a short time ago (I can't get a more specific time from the user). The computer was mildly infected with adware, so we did a thorough cleaning. As a final step after the routine (virus scans, AdAware, etc.) the System File Checker reported that the file "setup.exe was apparently corrupted and should be replaced from the cab files" which we did.

Printer still did not work. Unplugged, waited, plugged back in. Did not work. Inserted original CD and the drive whirred for awhile but did not autoplay, so I went to explorer window, opened the CD directory and double clicked on setup.exe. CD responded, but file did not open and there was no error message.

That's when I removed the old driver and downloaded the new drivers from internet, tested the files on another computer (they worked fine) and took them to the eMachine. Once again, no problem seeing the CD, but it didn't autoplay, and was unable to get any response by clicking on setup.exe.

I'll try installing from the Add/Remove window as soon as I can, but I suspect the system file checker message is the key to my problem. Sorry I didn't include it in my first post.

donnar

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

Have you tried this?

MS Autoplay Repair Wizard
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 donnar

donnar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for all your help. I think I finally solved it. Apparently in removing the printer prior to reinstalling, I didn't quite get everything off. I went back and did a search for all the HP software, removed a few things from HP that were in the Add/remove list, restarted then used the setup.exe. Still not sure why the autorun didn't work...works on other CD's, just not that HP install CD.

anyways...thanks again for all the input. This site is the greatest place to hash out these problems.

donnar

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

Your welcome.
Glad you got your problem worked out, donnar.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users