Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Options Properties Has A Mind Of Its Own

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:11 PM

In control panel, in power options, all of my default power schemes and even new ones I make always change themselves to:

plugged in
15 minutes until Monitor off
30 minutes until Hard disk off
20 minutes until Standby

about thirty times a day I have to reset everything to make it not turn the hard disk off while plugged in and not go to standby, AND I have to reset the screen's resolution when it comes out of standby. HP said to reset BIOS because of ACPI and another member on bc said to do so in a previous thread (problem is ongoing) and there is no setting in bios for this. I have done reset to default and that doesn't help. I have done powercfg /restoredefaultpolicies and that works for a little while then everything reverts to the settings I don't want. Also, the computer is an HP and comes with a presentation mode button that brings up a window which says: Presentation button makes it possible to bring up a presentation automatically and adjusts your video and power settings accordingly. There is a dropdown menu in the presentation dialog that says power scheme and it usually is set to a different power scheme than I choose, somehow by itself. How can I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

Changing Presentation Mode settings

The Item to Open field enables a user to indicate a file, an application, a Web site, or a folder to open when the Presentation Mode button is pressed. Browse for an item by clicking the Browse button, or indicate a recently programmed item by clicking the down arrow in the Item to Open field.
The Video Mode and Power Schemes fields enable a user to control the video and power properties for Presentation Mode. Click the down arrow to indicate a video mode. The default video settings are 800 x 600, 32bit, 60 Hertz. Click the down arrow to choose a power options profile. The Adjust Power Properties button next to the Power Scheme field launches Microsoft Power Options, where the power scheme can be viewed or changed.

When you change them do you click Apply before OK?

Edited by garmanma, 05 May 2008 - 07:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

yes I do and I don't have video mode in mine. thanks for taking a look.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

I can reset the power profiles to default with powercfg, but it doesn't stay that way. When I am watching a movie on my tv connected to the computer with s-video, with the computer set to never go into standby under any circumstance, something happens and about halfway through an average length movie it will stop playing because my computer is in standby again and this mysterious computer ghost has reset all my power profile settings to whatever it wants, namely going into standby after a short amount of time.

The last time this happened while I was watching something I looked through the event viewer and through McAfee's Access Protection log and I found no evidence of a windows error or McAfee blocking something. I have no idea what is making this change back every time or how to stop it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users