Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoUser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hi…my laptop got infected with “worm.win32.netbooster”… I googled it and as I understood it is a nasty Smitfraud program that “falsely” reports “worm.win32.netbooster”…I’m not sure if it’s a false program or it’s really the case…
1. Background screen changed to a blue color with two huge font links saying something like click here to download…and protect your pc – I don’t remember the exact words b/c I’ve been running on safe mode since 7:00 a.m. and scan is still going on…
2. Every 2 minutes a pop up window – similar to windows alerts which would make it hard to differentiate if it’s a legit windows alert. The pop up says “someone is trying to hijack your computer…” and many IE windows pop up trying to direct you to antivirus sites…
3. Task Manager was disabled. Tried to Ctrl+Alt+Delete and it said that task manager was disabled by Admin.
4. Start page is directing to some Antivirus webpage; even if I change it in the control panel, it defaults back to this webpage…
I checked the running services from Administrative Tools, but wasn’t sure if there’s anything suspicious. Also tried to edit registry but wasn’t sure about the files so I didn’t want to mess with the registry.

Going through the instruction that were given to another poster (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic140864.html ), who had the same problem, I had some problems:

I downloaded the AVG Anti-Spyware; tried running it in safe mode, but the only option was to do it through command line so I wasn’t able to do all of the suggestions. I let it run for 4 hours yesterday and interrupted it thinking that it took too long. I checked the valut and saw that it caught 9 infections (Trojan horse Generic10.NNI – Trojan horse Downloader.Scagent.D and many others)… after that I wasn’t able to connect to internet. Today I restarted scanning in safe mode but so far it’s been running for 10hrs and I don’t know if that’s ok…

I don’t know how to solve this and clean up my computer and I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing…
I’m running Windows XP SP2 – Intel® CPU T2400 @ 1.83GHz. 1.49 GB of RAM

Any feedback/suggestion would be much appreciated…

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

the malware is removable with the right tools and and expert advise

let the experts handle it

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Angelica90

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:58 AM

Hey, I'm really blond when it comes to computers, but need help. I got this virus ( What kind of virus is it anyway?) on my computer and the popups kept coming. Then I Downloaded SuperAntispyware. Now the popups are gone and the computer works fine. Mostly.. I can go on the nett, as you can see, without problems and the computer is not working slow or anything, but by the date location on the taskbare are showing ''VIRUS ALERT'' and on ''My computer'' I cant see my C or D drive. I can access them, but they don't show up under my computer and that's really annoying. As said I'm really blond when it comes to computers so I was wondring if the Virus itself is gone and if it is how I can clean up the mess it left behind (mainly place my two missing drivers back on the list) And if it's not gone how do I remove it completely.

By the way sorry about the spelling, I'm norwegian.

Edited by Angelica90, 10 July 2008 - 07:25 AM.

#4 Guest_superbird_*

• Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

Do what DaChew advised. :thumbsup:

#5 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,733 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

Welcome to BC Angelica90

If you have an issue or problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic. Doing that will help to avoid the confusion that often occurs when trying to help two or more members in the same thread with different problems. Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be different based on the kind of hardware, software, system requirements, etc. you are using and the presence of other malware. Further, posting for assistance in someone else's topic is not considered proper forum etiquette.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users