Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Vs. Verizon Internet Security Suite (radialpoint)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Devito

Ron Devito

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

Good afternoon all.

I'm in a little quandry right now. I have an issue with my new custom-built machine (see spec below), where it freezes right after logon only on cold boots. On warm boots it works fine. Long story short, I ran cCleaner and Verizon's Internet Security Suite stopped working. So, I uninstalled it and ran cCleaner twice again. I cold-booted the machine and .... no problem.

I'm wondering if I should use AVG rather than the Verizon product. I had gone with Verizon originally because the prior version was lean, mean and never had any problems. The current version 6.03 ... has become more Norton/McAffee-like, meaning: slow, and probably causing all manner of problems. Note that I do have the Verizon product on an AMD-based laptop and it functions fine.

Right now, I'm using nothing, but I don't want to do that for two long. Thanks much.

Here is the hardware Spec:

XFX 790i mobo
4 GB OCZ DDR3 (tested with MS's RAM diagnostics and no errors).
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz Processor
CoolIT Eliminator CPU cooler
Two Palit 1-GB NVIDIA 9600 video cards with SLI enabled
Two Seagage 750 GB SATA Drives
One LiteOn DVD Burner (IDE)
One Artec CD Burner (IDE)
ONe Ultra Card Reader with USB Hub and Firewire
CH Pro Flight Sim Yoke and Rudder Pedals

Software:

XP Pro SP 2 with all latest hot fixes
MSIE 7.0
FireFox (latest Version)
MS Office Enterprise 2007 latest Service Packs and fixes
DocuDesk
Adobe Reader
FSX
X-Plane 9.0
Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate
Audacity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ron Devito

Ron Devito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:44 AM

Update to this. I nosed around the site and saw some excellent freeware applications. For now, I'm running AVG free, Comodo, Spybot Search and Destroy and Hitware Lite for my antivirus, firewall, anti-spyware, and anti-pop-up solution. I'm taking a bit of a performance hit -- mostly from Spybot -- but my cold boot this morning did not immediately lockup. It did lock after 10 minutes though. AVG found and isolated a virus on my external disk, so for now I'm running a scan against my machine to see anything else is found.

What's interesting is that this free software found a virus. Meanwhile software that I've been paying for on a subscription and that is updated every three hours could not. And the computer was locking on cold boots at login every time the paid program initiated.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

I am somewhat biased about security suites, and will not use them for the similar reason of sluggish performance. Moreover, I have found the functionality of the various modules in most suites to be uneven, as one might expect from their history of acquisitions.
I am also biased against registry cleaners, because they will recommend deletion of files necessary to run some applications, and pressing the delete button without doing careful research can make them nonfunctional.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 06 May 2008 - 08:09 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Ron Devito

Ron Devito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

John,

Thank you. I'd like to amplify your point about registry cleaners. Most are dolled up junk; and many are malware. The one I chose is highly trustworthy, but even so, as you pointed out, you can really break your implementation with this, no doubt about it. These are not for the casual user.

I was very careful in picking mine. I am comfortable around registries. I took a backup of the registry first; I have several restore points set; and I didn't just blindly let the thing touch keys. My data is backed up with Carbonite and also on an external USB HDD. I made sure that if for example the cleaner said a key for an active application had an invalid path...that I went through the folder structure and verified that the file was indeed missing. And....I knew going ahead with it that I was taking a risk of having to re-rebuild my disk. I always partition my main HDD into two partitions with 1/3 of the disk being for OS and apps and the other 2/3 being for data. This practice served me well. Worst that has happened is that I had to rebuild my OS/app partition, but my data was always safe -- even without a backup. I think the Verizon software was broken long before the cleaner touched it.

I would caution anyone that if you're not willing to do all of the above, do not even think of fooling around with a registry cleaner.

Going back to the core subject -- Verizon vs. the free utilities (I removed Hitware, because both Explorer and Firefox have built-in pop-up blockers that work just fine), something was clearly wrong with my Verizon install. I set the machine to scan before I went off to work and my machine is clean. Spybot came up clean too except for some MSIE cookies. When I go out again later, I'm going to reboot into safe mode and re-run the scans, and this time connect my external HDD and see what happens. If it comes up clean, then I would have to rule out virus/malware as being the source of my cold-boot locking and freezing.

But...I dare say that the combination of AVG Free, Comodo and Spybot Seek and Destroy seems to be more effective than Verizon's stuff with about the same performance hit. It's a shame Verizon went in this direction with their software, because the original version -- a simple firewall and antivirus -- was truly kick-butt fast and rock-solid reliable. Too many bells, whistles, and gongs with the new one.

Edited by Ron Devito, 06 May 2008 - 04:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users