Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 omaroo

omaroo

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:53 PM

hi i need help, i had used my recovery disk to format my computer, now everytime i turn on my computer i cant get past the windows screen as it goes black it comes up with a message saying a file is missing or corrupt in system 32 config folder. So i really need help because i cant do anything it keeps coming up with windows setup when i turn on my labtop. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

does it mention what the file is named?

#3 JebediahTBone

JebediahTBone

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

a file is missing or corrupt in system 32 config folder

That usually denotes a corrupted/missing registry entry. Knowing the EXACT error would be helpful. Please quote the error, so we can be extra sure. Last thing we want is to give you directions that will fiddle with the registry only to find out it's not a registry problem to begin with.

Does the error look like this?

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

or

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
-JtB

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:03 AM

Both of the error messages point to issues with your registry being loaded by the XP boot process.
There's several things that could cause these errors, so there's a bit of work to do to narrow it down.

Here's a suggested fix sequence:
1) Try the Last Known Good Configuration in the Safe Mode menu (press F8 just before the Windows splash screen shows up)
2) Download a bootable diagnostic utility from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive (they're free) and test the drive with it (you'll have to use another computer for this). This is a required step - as trying to fix a dead/dying disk is a futile operation.
2) Run the Recovery Console and use the "chkdsk /r" command (without the quotes) to check the file system on the disk. The tutorial is located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/. If you don't have an XP disk, you can download the recovery console ISO from here: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
3) If it still doesn't work, then you can attempt to restore the registry hives using a Windows PE/BartPE/Ultimate Boot CD - but that's a complicated procedure that's best left to a post of it's own. Let us know the results of the previous tests and we'll move on from there.

Edited by usasma, 06 May 2008 - 06:07 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 omaroo

omaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

it did come up with the message Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. However whenever i turn my labtop on it goes straight to the windows xp setup page and i can't move past it. I can't even go on safe mode. When im on the windows xp setup page it comes up with the error runddl i think i would need to make sure. So any solutions please as some of the methods listed were too complicated. Sorry if i seem stupid as i'm not advanced with computers.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users