Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long Startup Time

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 taochuen

taochuen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

I have a 100-day-old Toshiba Portege R500 that works well except for one thing - the startup time. It takes more than 11 minutes to show the desktop (after I type in the logon password) each time I boot up the system. After hours of trouble shooting, I found out if I disabled the Windows service "extensible authentication protocol", then the startup time became normal. However, of course then I lost my wireless thus my internet. What should I do? TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

I'd suggest taking a look at the properties of your network connections, the properties of your network devices, and the number of network devices that are shown in Device Manager. I'd suspect that one of these things is causing your network to initialize slowly. This also assumes that your connection (and it's hardware) are Vista compatible (this includes your router, modem, and your ISP's hardware).

Often it's the stuff that translates IPv6 so it can be used over IPv4 networks that will cause this (although it can be as simple as the DHCP Broadcast flag not being compatible with your hardware).

I'm going to move this over to the Networking forum for some more in-depth assistance. Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 taochuen

taochuen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:51 AM

You are brilliant! After I disabled the Wireless device (Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN), and using only wired Ethernet connection, the problem went away. Awesome! Now if I can figure out which part of the wireless system goes wrong. I have a Netopia SDSL router and a Trendnet TEW-633GR as an add-on wireless router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users