Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Antivirus Program Version 7.5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

For general information ;according to the AVG web site the date that support and updates END for the avg 7.5 antivirus program we are looking at
31/12/2008

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php...12,backpage=,sv

I suggest we need to keep this thread updated and informed of any change in this date :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

Hmmm, I don't understand >_<
Does it mean that the updating from the program itself will stop and you have to do a manual definition update, or they say that your AVG is obsolete and you can't update until you get a newer version?
Kinda sad though... I tried both 7.5 and 8.0. Must say 7.5 was both faster and better.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#3 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

few hours ago i had a pop up from avg that the end that for updates of 7.5 will be 31 May..
i felt like bleep cuz i've seen people complaining about 8.0 installing toolbars blabla

oh well, at least a bit better news now.. I have much more time to think about what will be my replacement for avg :thumbsup:

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:47 AM

i felt like bleep cuz i've seen people complaining about 8.0 installing toolbars blabla

Sure they didn't get it via downlaod AVG 8 with Warez? I heard of this?

I use AVG 8 and it isn't bad except for that SpywareBlaster issue. Better to ahev AVG 8 that is uypdated instead of AVG 7.5 with no updates :thumbsup:

David

#5 gr277

gr277

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:11 AM

few hours ago i had a pop up from avg that the end that for updates of 7.5 will be 31 May..

oh well, at least a bit better news now.. I have much more time to think about what will be my replacement for avg :thumbsup:

During installation, AVG 8.0 has the toolbar ticked by default. If you don't want the toolbar just untick it. It will not install.
Basil
Καλημέρα φίλοι

Posted Image

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

for avg7.5 users we are still at

DEADLINE FOR AVG 7.5 FREE UPDATES 31/12/2008

as from the web site

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?1,123812,backpage=,sv

it is the ending of the 7.5 version we are 'watching' here
and not the problems with the 8.0 version :thumbsup:

#7 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:01 PM

Sure they didn't get it via downlaod AVG 8 with Warez? I heard of this?

I use AVG 8 and it isn't bad except for that SpywareBlaster issue. Better to ahev AVG 8 that is uypdated instead of AVG 7.5 with no updates :thumbsup:

David

It's the Yahoo toolbar. Something about more protection. Gosh. As if the free version of 8.0 wasn't intrusive enough already.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:42 AM

Hmmm, I don't understand >_<
Does it mean that the updating from the program itself will stop and you have to do a manual definition update, or they say that your AVG is obsolete and you can't update until you get a newer version?
Kinda sad though... I tried both 7.5 and 8.0. Must say 7.5 was both faster and better.

may we perhaps clarify

the purpose of this specific thread is to give us a point of reference for the ending of updates for the avg 7.5 version

as I understand it; AVG's notification means that ALL support and , more importantly UPDATES for the 7.5 avg antivirus version will cease as from 31/12/2008

we need to be watching the AVG site ( and any other that may give us any clues ) for any notifications of changes TO the specific date given BY AVG for the avg 7.5 version and put that information on this specifically pinned thread so we have that pool of information on THIS thread

so that we do not get 'distracted' FROM that intent, it would help to keep this thread on track please if discussions and problems with the different avg 8.0 version were discussed on one of the many 8.0 avg threads that are appearing on here :thumbsup:

#9 BengalTigger

BengalTigger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:06 PM

Edit: At first I agreed with BeenThere. I also saw the popup mentioned and it basically stated that version 8 was not available for upgrade for existing users of the free version 7.5 until its expire date, and that the expire date was scheduled for May 31, 2008. But, I searched around and found another post in AVG's forum that specifically questions whether the 5/31 date or the 12/31 date is accurate. The reply isn't very concrete, but it does lend credibility to the 12/31 date being legitimate. [link]

Edited by BengalTigger, 10 May 2008 - 11:38 PM.

#10 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 11 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

I was a long time user of AVG 7.5....I have since updated to AVG 8 and
it works just fine. Takes longer to scan, but I think that's because of the
anti-spyware which is part of the program. Also had to got to e-mail scan
and changed it to scan both incoming and outgoing mail....
I get auto-updates on a regular basis and scan for viruses daily at the
end of day.
FWIW....I like it. :thumbsup:

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

I was working on a Windows 98 computer and removed 7.5, but when I tried to replace it, I got the message that the operating system was too old. I reinstalled 7.5 from an old utilities disk and immediately got the message that I was using a VERY OLD version. Piffle. There are still a lot of people using 98. I can see why companies wouldn't want to use valuable resources to support old operating systems, but I can also see that a lot of people don't have resources to upgrade. How much would it take to keep a set of definitions current?

#12 madeinamerica

madeinamerica

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:37 AM

Is there a free version of AVG 8?

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:52 AM

Absolutely.
http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fre...4-10320142.html

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#14 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

This may not be the proper thread to ask about this (sorry Ruby1 if I'm screwing up here! :flowers: ), but it is directly related to the ending of AVG 7.5 Free... Hope this is okay!

I don't plan on updating until the very last moment when AVG decides to stop supporting/updating 7.5 A/V Free and 7.5 Antispyware Free. :trumpet: However, I have not seen any proper/complete instructions as to *how* to update to 8.0 Free if you have the two programs I mentioned above and AVG Anti-rootkit free (which I also have).

In regards to A/V 7.5 Free, I've read different things (and all from the AVG forum). One official post will say that you're supposed to uninstall 7.5 A/V Free completely before installing 8.0 Free (though it doesn't give specific instructions as to how to do this). Their faq says that you let the 8.0 installer uninstall 7.5 A/V (or something like that). And there are no references or instructions as to how/when you're supposed to uninstall Antispyware 7.5 Free or AntiRootkit Free (though I did read you need to uninstall both of those prior to installing 8.0 as well).

I'm thinking it might be good to have a sticky thread describing the proper order with exact step-by-step details as to how to properly and fully update to AVG Free 8.0 if you have AVG 7.5 A/V Free, 7.5 Antispyware Free, and Antirootkit Free. Something for dummies like me so we don't mess up our computers! :inlove: (I know there are certain things you have to do with disabling parts of the various programs before uninstalling, and things like that -- but I don't know what they are.)

Any thoughts or help with all this would be greatly appreciated! When the time comes for me to update and have to uninstall those three prior programs first, I want to make sure I do it right (and I'm sure others would as well). And you folks are the experts! Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 03 June 2008 - 10:24 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#15 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

I was working on a Windows 98 computer and removed 7.5, but when I tried to replace it, I got the message that the operating system was too old. I reinstalled 7.5 from an old utilities disk and immediately got the message that I was using a VERY OLD version. Piffle. There are still a lot of people using 98. I can see why companies wouldn't want to use valuable resources to support old operating systems, but I can also see that a lot of people don't have resources to upgrade. How much would it take to keep a set of definitions current?

with AVG 7.5 having been so successful and having had good write-ups and recommendations from those who use it,I find it 'hard to swallow' that the 'powers that be' AT lavasoft/grisoft have seen fit TO withdraw this program

( PS; this thread is pinned specifically FOR the notified date of the end of avg7.5

so folks know where we are at ON that specific issue

maybe we can try to keep ON topic here and use other threads to discuss avg 8.0 :thumbsup: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users