Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Multiple Antispyware Scans

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deserthawk

deserthawk

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

I have never seen anyone address this question, obvious as it seems to me. I have a couple of antispyware programs doing real time monitoring, and I have a few others that I run scans with once a week, but they take a fairly long time to run. Can I economize on time by running more than one at a time, i.e. running scans of spybot and spywaredoctor simultaneously? I realize it may slow down the computer, but it does that anyway when I scan, so no big deal. Will doing this cause the programs to miss anything? The reason I want to run them simultaneously is because the programs always slow my computer considerably when I scan, and I'd like to shorten that time. I am running Pentium 4, 2GHz, 786 DDR RAM, XP Home

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

High deserthawk, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Having two or more anti virus utilities running at the same time usually results in conflicts and false positives, we recommend that this not be done. I don't believe there would be any point in trying to run more than one scan at a time and I don't think it would save any time, this might even prove to be a problem and take longer than running them separately.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

I will add that...some scanners (e.g., Windows Defender) seem to be system-intensive and probably won't allow for running another scanner at the same time.

Louis

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

and take longer than running them separately.

it wouldn't be very good for the hard drive either, 2 programs trying to read the files at the same time
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

I was wondering what you would do when they both detect the same infected files... Which scanner would you use to remove them? Which means I guess, if you use one, you'll have to re-scan with the other one...

#6 deserthawk

deserthawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

Thank you all for your quick replies. I will take your advice and continue running them one at a time.
Man plans, God laughs

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

HI,
When both scanners detect the same infected file(s) it doesn't really matter which one you remove it from.
I guess I need to stop scanning with 2 anti-spyware program at once. Just a quick note, when I scan with 2 anti-spyware scans I found out that one scanner finds like 3 warnings and another finds 1 infection with no warning.
Just asking why? Is it just because that some programs miss an spyware and another catches it or is there any other reasons?

Regards,
Extrmemboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:25 PM

Each malware detection program...whether antispyware or antivirus...each is developed and maintained by different groups of personnel.

Each has its own unique way of doing what it was designed to do, using different databases and procedures.

That's why it's such a fallacy to assume that only 1 program can really do an adequate job of protecting a system...against everything that the malware misanthropes can dream up daily.

No one program can do it all and it's not unusual for one program to find items which another did not alert on.

AV programs are concerned primarily with known viruses but they may also detect some forms of other malware...not all.

Same situation applies to any single malware detection program (e.g. Windows Defender, Spyblaster, SuperAntispyware, etc.),which is why it's generally suggested to employ at least two such programs.

Louis

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

I go for running one at a time; I know some people get impatient with the time scans take

BUT you have put those tool on your computer havent you? so let 'em run and do their work one at a time OFF line ; have a cuppa..... watch tv......or a meal.......but do keep an eye ON the scans to see if it asks anything of/from you whilst scanning as yas never knows does ya :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users