Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Help Xp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Esther

Esther

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hi people,
I have a slight problem,im running xp black and someone accidentily deleted or changed a reg key,
i found a fix on the net but cannot use it as this pc isnt on my home network.
PROBLEM: windows boots but logs on then immediatly logs off.
Here is the fix...

RESOLUTION
Edit these values and type the correct path of shell :

Shell = explorer.exe
Userinit=X:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

NOTE: These files may also be deleted by spywares. You may need to extract them using Windows CD.

Steps for rectifying this problem:

Log on to a networked computer.
Run Regedit.exe
Point your cursor to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Select File > Connect Remote Registry
Type computer name (infected computer)
Navigate to the following location in registry of destination or infected computer

Ok now i have installed a second version of windows on this pc just to get into the thing,
the question im asking is::
Is there a possability to copy the registry from my fresh install and write it to the other
installation which is stored on the same drive?
If so then how?
and where are the keys stored?
i know u can access then via regedit but this i assume only allows me to edit the keys on the booted OS
Many thanks
Esther

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

For those who don't know what XP Black is: http://www.computerdefense.org/2007/02/07/...-black-edition/

Please read the forum rules before attempting a response to original post.

Louis

#3 Esther

Esther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:18 AM

I bought pc second hand and it was already booted with xp black.
I paid only a few euros for the system and wasnt going to start spending again on buying software that was already on here.
Thats not the point,i juist want to know if it is possible to fix as i asked before.
Thanks

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

Thats not the point,i juist want to know if it is possible to fix as i asked before.

The point being made earlier, is that you now own pirated software for the few euros you spent, if you had followed the link given. I quote from the link: "In essence, Windows XP - Black Edition is XP on DVD with plenty of other pirated software included..." And you were asked to read the forum rules, in which the following statement is taken from:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

There fore the point I am making with my above comment, is that since you have pirated software you will not receive any assistance to keep using the pirated software.

This thread is now closed

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users