Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues With Mcafee System Guard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joesmama4

joesmama4

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

Good morning everyone! I was infected yesterday by that virus that leaves a pop-up balloon on your task bar telling you that your computer is infected, need special spyware removal tools, blah, blah, blah. I found instructions on how to remove it using SmitFraudFix.exe. It worked, but when I rebooted my computer, my desktop had turned blue. (Used to be a photo.) So, I then did a system restore for the day before. When I rebooted everything was fine, until I went into McAfee to do another scan to double check. Everything was check marked green and said that I was fully protected. That is until I went to advanced to check my settings, went to the Computer & Files section to look at the SystemGuard tool. All of the alert options had been changed to "Disabled" or "Log Only" AND SystemGuard had been turned off. I switched all the settings back to "Alert" and turned SystemGuard back on. Two minutes later, it switched back to off. Tried to fix it again, and two minutes later, I watched my selection go back to "off" and I wasn't even touching the computer.

Did I not completely rid myself of this virus?? Can anyone let me know what to do now? Just for forewarning, I pretty familiar with PC's, but only in terms of how to use programs and fairly basic functions. Anything technical and I'll need some help.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:26 AM

You did a system restore. Chances are that the system restore point that you used had the infected file, so you obviously had the problem again.
And you should have read the instructions on SmitFraudFix before running it. If you did, you would have known that SFF *will* delete your wallpaper and you have to reset it.
Try using an updated SmitFraudFix (be sure to disable SG and McAfee and any other security products. Safe Mode recommended) and rerunning it. If that doesn't work download a2 free and doing a scan.
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users