Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sndvol.exe File Missing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blov10

blov10

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

Hello,

I am missing my volume control on XP home edition. I tried this fix but it didn't show up. Any more help/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Ben

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP compact disc to the system_rootSystem32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:Windows):

CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_rootsystem32sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the Windows system files is C:Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):

e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:windowssystem32sndvol32.exe
Type exit to quit the command prompt.
Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

Does your computer play sounds at all via system sounds, music, mp3's,etc?
What is the make and model of your computer?
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:40 AM

While I am thinking about it, Did you do this process that you described above because of an error message or was this something that you tried because you didn't have a volume control icon in your system tray?

Can you open up your device manager, click on the view tab at the top, check "Show all Hidden Devices", expand ALL "+"'s,and check for ANY red "x's" or yellow "!'s"?

Can you open up a "cmd prompt" (winlogo+r), type "dxdiag" without the quotes, click OK, click on the sounds tab, Test button...Do you hear any sounds? Click on the music tab, Test button, Do you hear any music?

#4 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hello,

I got the error message when I tried opening the volume control. I googled the file and found the supposed fix for the problem listed above.

I have speakers hooked up and they do emit sound. I just dont have the icon in my tray anymore and I am unable to locate it.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 2350.

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:05 PM

OK, press Start>ControlPanel>Sounds,Speech and Audio Devices...On the volume tab around the middle of the window is there a check mark in box labeled "Show icon in Task Bar"?

Edited by douglas martin, 05 May 2008 - 01:09 PM.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

Forgot to add to click on "adjust volume" after opening "sounds, speech and audio"....Sorry

#7 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

I received the error Windows cannot install the Volume Control Icon in the taskbar becuase the Volume Control Program is not installed. Use Add/Remove programs to install it.

Edited by blov10, 05 May 2008 - 02:52 PM.

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:57 PM

Never seen this before but take a look through this article maybe it can help you...

http://www.jakeludington.com/windows_xp/20..._installed.html

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

By reading through this article a little closer it gives two options for re-installation: 1. Recovery partition and 2. XP CD using command prompts similar to what you tried initially. I don't know if it will help you much. Sorry...

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

Try this one:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...19191849AAFCfwE

#11 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:42 PM

If none of this works I would first contact Dell support. They may be able to guide you in the right direction. Secondly, you might consider doing a system restore to a time before this occurred. Most people worry about doing this a they feel that they lose data and updates and it takes to much effort to retrieve them...I just bite the bullet and do it...

One thing though, when you tried the command prompt were you using a XP CD or recovery CD's from Dell...It makes a difference.

Edited by douglas martin, 05 May 2008 - 03:45 PM.

#12 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the help. I found the missing file on another board/thread and it seems to have done the trick.

#13 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:29 PM

Good to hear...Maybe you can post a link to it so that everyone that is having this issue can have a look...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users