Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnnyboy29

Johnnyboy29

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

I am running XP. I recently re-installed XP in order to clean up some problems that had caused the disabling of my USB ports. (USB ports are now working). After this was completed, I installed an
ATVIA wireless G network adapter to my system which appears to be working fine.

My problem is this; since completing these tasks my computer will freeze after a period of inactivity. This usually occurs after the machine has been in a screen saver mode for a while. After re-booting the machine works fine until I leave for a while. (I have changed screen savers thinking there may be corrupt file ; however this did not fix the problem.

I viewed my task manager an noted that there are two IEXPLORE.EXE running on the system. One is using 11000K + and the other is running 22,900K +. The only other memory hog seems to aim.exe @ 26,00K +. What is IEXPLORE.EXE and could it be the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks, JohnnyBoy29

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

a google search FOR aim exe

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

suggests it is to do with AOL instant messenger (???)

and for iexplore.exe
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s...exe&spell=1

it is posible one of them might might be an infection

you say you have had to reinstall your XP due to an 'infection'?what WAS that infection?and do you know your computer cd is 'legit'?
do you yet have an active antivirus program on the computer and have you yet run it?

I may be(and hopefully for your computer sake , am ) completely wrong ( and am open to BE proved wrong )but my suspicions are you have an infection on that computer

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

In Task Manager...Processes tab - go to the View menu item, then to "Select columns", then put a check mark in the IO Reads column.
Expand the Task Manager window (so you can see all the columns) and click on the IO Reads column header to sort it so that the largest values are at the top.

Disable your screensaver and then sit back and wait. When it freezes you should be able to see the Task Manager window to see what's using the most hard drive at this point. If nothing of note shows up - try it with the CPU and the Memory column sorted this way.

Let us know what you find out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

I would try updating the video driver. I have found that a lot of "hibernate" type problems are caused by a corrupt video driver.

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users