Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Salvage Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

Okay first off, let me state that maybe I should have finished fixing my last problem (which I posted here) but that's too late now...

anyway here's the rundown.

I had my computer for nearly 3 years. It is Windows XP (I think Media Center and SP2?), Intel Pentium 4, and 512 RAM.

I left my computer on for a bit over 72 hours...I know very bad!

Anyway about 3-4 hours ago, my open apps were taking a bit long to load,etc so I decide to restart my computer. So after everything log off, Windows starts back up again...however I am greeted with the message that my computer had not shut down properly and all that jazz w/e. Then I get the BSOD!!

I have gotten several over the years but this one was a UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME type. So I just shut the power off and startup again. I try safe-mode, safe-mode with networking, safe-mode w/ cmd, restart with last time settings, and restart normally or something...all which result in the same BSOD with the unmountable message.

So I do some research and find these:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185
http://www.techtips4u.com/kb/sw/SW00014.htm

According to the microsoft ones, there are 3 possible causes for this BSOD. One involves some wires or something but doubt that is it. Another has to do with BIOS settings but I doubt that too. The last one involved a damaged system file which I guess made sense. I go on and read that the error message looks like:

STOP 0x000000ED (0xaaaaaaaa,0xbbbbbbbb,0xcccccccc,0xdddddddd) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

where a,b,c, and d are hexidec values...

the message(s) I have gotten look like:

STOP 0x000000ED (0xaaaaaaaa,0xC0000032,0x00000000,0x00000000) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

with the first parameter (the one with a's) being different each time I try to startup.

Now the system file cause usually has a message of the form:
STOP 0x000000ED (0xaaaaaaaa,0xC0000032,0xcccccccc,0xdddddddd) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
but mine doesn't =[

Anyway I try to fix the system file. I get the Recovery Console disk from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138692/xp-boot-fixes/
and used CDBurnerXP to burn the iso

Then I go to my computer and pop in the CD. I then change the settings so the CD is booted before the hard drive. I'm in the Recovery Console and enter the commands as mentioned in the links I found (the 3 links I used as research). These commands got me nowhere.

Please someone help! Hopefully if my computer is able to run again (without reformating or erasing anything) I'll be sure to do maintenance checks and whatnot more often for sure.

Edited by unpaidassassin, 04 May 2008 - 08:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

Hi,
seems BSOD is very popular now.
Many people are having this promblem try reading in these forums: BSOD
BSOD
BSOD
Read these forums they might give you some additional information before someone actually helps you deal with your BSOD promblem

Regards
The boy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:10 PM

those users' bsod issues are not the same as mine

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

Hi,
Sorry for the mistake, misread you post.
someone will help you with your BSOD, I'm sure. I'm having a promblem with BSOD so I can't really do much unfortunatly.

Regards,
The boy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

I tried again and used the Recovery Console and typed in:
fixboot c:\

stuff happened and instead of the BSOD I get a message with the black background screen:

NTLDR is missing
press any key

bleep this sucks...

then I found something else online
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139

the 4th post I followed:

copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

the first command didn't do anything but the second did...however the NTLDR message keeps showing and no more BSOD

this is probably the worst bleeping day ever >_> if I lost everything on my computer (it's hard drive rather)

#6 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

I don't feel very well about how this will turn out. I would like to know if there is a way to save my 'computer' or at least its hard drive, assuming it's not bleeped already!

There are 2 other computers (3 but that one is not hooked up) in my home and I also have 2 external hard drives. All 3 (4 including my old unhooked pc) are Windows XP. My old one is SP1 (and had problems when I tried to put SP2 on it so system restored back) and my newer current pc (the one with the problems now) is a Media Center Edition with SP2. the other 2 computers are SP2.

My 2 external drives are WD but are different since one is a My Book.

suggestions, advice., and help are greetly needed and appreciated

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 May 2008 - 10:46 PM.
Removed link to other topic now merged with this one. ~ OB

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:38 PM

unpaidassassin, I've asked the moderators to combine your topics. Keeping it all in one place will make it easier for people to help you-it can get confusing bouncing from one topic to another one.

Can you take the drive and put into another computer as a slave drive? You might be able to get to the files you don't want to lose and move them off the drive onto the C drive of the other computer.
If it works, you can then reinstall your OS on the hosed drive. IF YOU KEEP THE DRIVE IN THE OTHER COMPUTER WHILE REINSTALLING, BE VERY SURE YOU INSTALL ON THE CORRECT DRIVE.

Another option is to do a repair installl of XP.
If you have an XP disk: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

You will need the key for your XP.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 May 2008 - 10:57 PM.

#8 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

this was my original post of this topic before being merged with the other:

I don't feel very well about how this will turn out. I would like to know if there is a way to save my 'computer' or at least its hard drive, assuming it's not bleeped already!

There are 2 other computers (3 but that one is not hooked up) in my home and I also have 2 external hard drives. All 3 (4 including my old unhooked pc) are Windows XP. My old one is SP1 (and had problems when I tried to put SP2 on it so system restored back) and my newer current pc (the one with the problems now) is a Media Center Edition with SP2. the other 2 computers are SP2.

My 2 external drives are WD but are different since one is a My Book.

suggestions, advice., and help are greetly needed and appreciated

I never really took a computer apart but hopefully I can manage to remove the drive. Should I do this ASAP or it doesn't really matter since if the drive is gone it's gone already? Also Queen, I don't really understand your post after you mention I can try to transfer by connecting my drive to another computer.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:25 PM

To slave the drive to another computer like Queen-Evie suggested is not that hard. All internal work should be done with the computer off, unplugged, and with ones self grounded to the computer case (ie touch the metal of the case to discharge all static electricity before starting)
Step 1) Remove the harddrive from the computer (2 plugs, 4 philips-head screws)
Step 2) There is a jumper on the back of the Hard Drive, on the hard drive there should be instructions for setting the jumper (CS= Cable Select, Slave, or Master) set the drive to slave or cable select. this is an example of a jumper: http://www.easeus.com/resource/images/inst...rive-jumper.gif
Step 3) Install the hard drive into the working computer using the Middle connector on the ribbon cable (the connector on the very end is the Boot drive)
Step 4) Boot up PC and scan drive for viruses and then transfer the files to the working computer. Then format the Slave Drive.
Step 5) Remove Slave Drive from PC and reset jumper to the original position and reinstall into original PC and reinstall XP.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 04 May 2008 - 11:28 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:10 AM

The drive may not be gone. The errors you mention don't necessarily mean your hard drive is toast.
Sometimes all that is needed is a reinstall of XP. Many of us have experienced the same error messages, or others, and never know why they occur. Before you go out and buy another drive, at least give putting it another computer as a slave drive and reinstalling XP a shot. My old computer had two drives. The first time I got NTLDR is missing my mind screamed NO!!!! I have files I don't want to lose. Then I got a brillant idea. I switched the cables to the drives, thus making my original C drive the slave. By doing this, I was able to get to the files and move or copy files off the non-working drive to save them. After reinstalling Windows, I switched the drives back to the way they originally had been.

It is very easy to remove a drive from one machine and install it on another one. And while you may have to set the jumpers I never had to do that. My computer was basically add the second hard drive and do nothing-it was automatically read as a slave drive. Just open up the cases of both computers, take a look at what you have to work with, then decide if you want to go ahead with it.

And if you do it, make sure that in addition to saving pics, music, text documents, etc, that you also COPY your favorites folder to the other drive. If you use an email client, you'll have to export your address book and also back up any messages you don't want to lose. And if there is more than one user account move those files also.

If this is something you don't feel confident doing, then a repair install of XP would work for you.

#11 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

I'm not really confident about the whole slave drive thing. However I really do not want to lose all the data that is on my computer's hard drive.

Is there any other possible way of fixing this NTLDR is missing problem? I used a recovery disk (made from the iso posted here at bleeping) and ran the recovery console and typed in

copy D:\i386\ntldr c:\copy D:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

only the last one worked.

Also I am not sure if this matters, but like I have ststed before this started out as a BSOD: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

I ran the Recovery Console and tried various commands that I read up on:

chkdskchkdsk p\chkdsk r\fixbootfixboot c:

only the last command did something, however that's when the NTLDR is missing came up. I fear that fixboot c:\ command may have wiped my drive. Also when I entered the Recovery Console again, I tried

dir c:

and it shows that there is only like 3 files...I am very afraid that my drive may in fact be wiped.

I am using my old computer which I just rehooked up in my room now. It is also a Windows XP (both are Dells with Intel Pentium 4). The only difference is that my old pc is SP1 which was bought in 2003 and my newer one (one with this whole problem) is SP2 which I got in 2005. My old pc is also very slow.

I will wait a while longer until trying out this slave drive thing. Is there a way to "browse" through my computer's hard drive still (newer pc with the problem).

I really appreciate everyone who has responded with some suggestions so far.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

It is possible that it is not in the i386 folder

Is there a way to "browse" through my computer's hard drive still (newer pc with the problem).

Slaving it to the other hard drive is not that hard to do and you are running out of options
You can try and run a Live Linux CD or a live boot cd like http://www.ubcd4win.com/ to access files

Edited by garmanma, 06 May 2008 - 12:09 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

The only other option I can think of is to purchase an enclosure for your hard drive.
You would have to remove the drive from the computer and hook it up to the enclosure.
Then you can connect it by usb to another computer and move your files.

Enclosures don't cost much, although you may have to get one from a computer repair shop or order it from the internet. But you have to make sure what you buy will work with the size and whatever type connection your hard drive has.

As garmanma stated, if you want to rescue your files from the drive, you have very few options.
Slaving would be the best way to go. I repeat, it isn't difficult to do. I know, it's something you've never done before and it makes you nervous just thinking about it. Yet it's something I encourage you to try. Once you've done it, you'll think WOW, that wasn't hard at all, and you'll get great satisfaction from the fact that YOU did it.
The first time I had to open up the case, I was terrified. Thought I might do something to blow the computer up. I took a deep breath, and began my quest to install a new drive. And the computer survived. Since then, I've opened up the case to install new video and sound cards. I clean out the dust once a month. The only thing I can say at this point, if I can do anyone can.

#14 unpaidassassin

unpaidassassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:38 AM

Is it bad that when I run the cd I made (refer to other posts), I try to select the repair install of xp (hit enter and not R like I did before) that no operating system is shown??? I have a very bad feeling about that.

Also a question about the slaving, can I plug in an external drive once the slave is installed in my old pc. just want to know if I can transfer the stuff from the problem drive (slave) to my external instead of my old computer (host)

#15 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:43 AM

Yes you will be able to hook up your external, unless it doesn't have the *assuming* USB slot open. It may not be able to read all of it tho, depending on what OS you have on your old comp but it should still pick it up.

Its been a while since i read the entire thread but i think you should be fine. And if not then at least you have the install disk.

Edited by smurfgod, 07 May 2008 - 01:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users