Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Remove A Program From 'normal' Startup Using Msconfig.exe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DavidH

DavidH

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

I have a dell inspiron laptop running XP/sp2.
Over time, Dell has loaded me up with SEVEN programs loading at startup -- only one of which is required according to your startup list.

Whenenver I uncheck an item in the startup list to deactivate it, msconfig changes the startup selection from 'Normal Startup' to 'Selective Startup'. I can leave my computer in 'selective startup' mode and run just fine, but there has to be a way to use msconfig.exe to remove programs from the 'normal' startup list. I just haven't found it yet. What am I doing wrong?

I know I can d/l autoruns and probably will, but I'd still like to know how to make msconfig work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:32 PM

msconfig is only for testing, not to turn on and off startup programs permanently. Autoruns is a great program, as is Process explorer. For turning on and off these programs, go to Start>Administrative tools>Services(there is also a RUN command to open it). Right click on any service and select properties. Then select the type of startup: Automatic, manual, or Disabled. Click at the top of the window, and you can sort by startup type. Look at all the Automatic ones and decide which way you want it. "Manual" will not start until a program requests it, and it will then be active until the next reboot. "Disabled" is self explanatory.

There are some you can access with Autoruns that aren't listed in Services, and visa versa, so use both programs for the best control over your system.

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:15 AM

Applications handling startup entries:

1. Startup Inspector for Windows for both novice and expert user: http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php : It helps manage Windows® startup applications.

2. Startup Control Panel with easier interface than Autoruns: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

3. Autoruns for more advanced users:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users