Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help needed on sb s&d, adware se

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 igonuts2

igonuts2

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:02 PM

i hope this is the right place to post this.

i have a presario sr1200nx w/xp sp2 AMD
upon running spy bot s&d it identified "wild tangent" 9 entries.
i went to remove (fix) them and every thing was fine till i rebooted.
a RUNDLL error apeared in a small window center screen.

RUNDLL
ERROR loading C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cda Engine0400.dll

then i remembered that when i went to "downloadthis" site
i had downloaded "ancient pyramid" game. i remember seeing wild tangent associated with the game.
i used up my 60min of free time with the game and then used the "uninstall" program with the game to remove it.

i guess my question here is,
is my sh-t ok? is this wild tangent just part of a game that sb s&d thinks is or could be potentialy harmfull? everything, so far, seems to be ok.

now i under stand from reading the tutorials that it can be up to the admin of the pc as to what is good or bad.
i am your typical un-educated new pc user. i got this pc for my wife for xmas and am trying to manage it for her.
im a little shell shocked cause the pc was highjacked instantly upon connecting up to the net via dsl. we didnt install any of the programs on the desk top till we needed them. as a result, IE was installed and she went on line with no protection or firewall. thats what you get for not reading and just plugging in. its been cleaned by a trusted inlaw.
now im trying to get familiar with programs and such.

i sorry for the rambelings.
please help, oh loards of the computer world.
thank you sirs and mams.

Edited by igonuts2, 28 March 2005 - 03:50 PM.

Why work when you can play!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

Yes its fine...click on start, then run, and type msconfig, click on startup, and look for the entry thats loading this:

C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cda Engine0400.dll

uncheck it. Reboot and your error should be gone

#3 igonuts2

igonuts2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:03 PM

thank you sir.
i checked that all ready and didnt see anything like that.
how ever, being the impatient person that i am, i messed around with things after i made this post. i scoured this site for related problems and did the following;

i ran sb again with a little more attention and patients
sb s&d couldnt remove everything safely at that time and needed to run again on startup. all was done by sb upon startup. no error now.

i realy should have waited for your reply. i know now that i might have been a little disrespectfull. i did not mean to. i value all bc advice.

im just so nervous, unsure about myself, and concerned about her pc. along with impatiens, its a bad thing. i tend to be counter productive. sometimes even destructive. i just gotta slow down a little. :thumbsup:

im sorry for taking up your time and i thank you for your response.
ill try being more patient and use more self help before posting.

THANK YOU AGAIN grinler
Why work when you can play!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:27 PM

No i encourage self help...only way to learn!

#5 Ronniebebe

Ronniebebe

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:42 PM

Wild Tanget is preloaded on the system when you buy the computer and so is AOL which is responsible for this Wild Tanget games.As soon as you install AOL you also install the games,and they are just loaded with spyware and spread like wildfire and is hard to get rid of. If your having problems with this try this :

*****For those folks whose OE came with Game Channel*****.......
Our software includes a service that updates the GameChannel menu located in your Start folder with the latest games. Periodically, your computer will connect to our servers to receive the latest product updates. New product availability information or messages are transparently and unobtrusively transferred to your computer in the background, allowing you to review them later when you're off-line. You can access these product updates in the Game Channel folder of your start menu."

Now if you feel as though you cannot follow the steps to remove WT and you have a firewall and it allows you to block, then go to programs section and block it from ever accessing the internet and block as a server......

or try this link and see if you think you want to use this removal:
http://support.wildgames.com/uninstall.html

SPYBot S&D will pick this WT up, but I am under the impression that Ad-Aware has labeled it okay and does not list it anymore....

Here is another suggestion about removing WT and it is a suggestion and not meant as an absolute, and unless you are comfortable about using the registry then do not try this.....
Go to START > Settings > Control Panel
Double click Add/Remove Programs, Select WildTangent ,
Click uninstall or add/remove, follow the on screen instructions.

Open the registry editor (Click Start > Run, type regedit). Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
In the right pane, find and delete the following entries ( if they exists):

WildTangent CDA

RUNDLL32.exe "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll",cdaEngineMain

Follow these steps - BE SURE TO DO THIS, VERY IMPORTANT.....
Make sure to exit directly out of the registry editor once you delete the file. Don't browse to other folders or it will stay there. Reboot and the computer will save the current settings. Next run, it should be clear. Hope this helps.
WWS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users