Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla Browsers OnFire

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:26 PM

Mozilla Browsers OnFire

"Some of Mozilla's web browsers contain multiple vulnerabilities
of "Firescrolling", "Fireflashing", "Firetabbing" and "Firedragging".

These vulnerabilities allow web sites to steal information from the user sessions and
cookies to execute arbitrary code, install malicious XUL plugins and change
configuration of Firefox."

Vulnerable Systems:
* Mozilla Firefox version 1.0
* Mozilla Suite version 1.7.5

Immune Systems:
* Mozilla Firefox version 1.0.2
* Mozilla Suite version 1.7.6

UPDATE YOUR MOZILLA/FIREFOX BROWSER!

See this item at securiteam.com/securitynews for complete details.

Edited by KoanYorel, 28 March 2005 - 02:32 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

Koan: Thanks for the kick in the pants, I've been running 1.0 and ignoring the warnings. Some fools never learn, but I did just install 1.0.2. But if you have time, I'd like to know if I did it correctly (don't you just love those after-the-fact questions?) Also hoping this may help others.

I first tried to do an update using the update feature in 1.0 @ Tools>Options>Advanced, etc. but on three attempts, it just sat there "downloading and installing updates" without completion. I'm on cable and on the last try, it sat there running (not frozen) for 15 minutes without completion. So I gave up on that.

I then went to Mozillas forums looking for help, but it's an unfamilar swamp in there and I didn't have all day to noodle around, so I did this:

Went to Mozilla's site and downloaded 1.0.2 into a folder. I then removed 1.0 using add/de/ete in Control Panel. Finally, I installed 1.0.2 from it's folder and here I am. Did I do good? :thumbsup:

PS: Also pleasantly surprised that all of my settings and bookmarks stayed in there, which I guess means that add/delete did not remove everything.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:08 PM

I first tried to do an update using the update feature in 1.0 @ Tools>Options>Advanced, etc.

Updating 1.0 only does just that. Updating does not install the newer versions.

Went to Mozilla's site and downloaded 1.0.2 into a folder. I then removed 1.0 using add/de/ete in Control Panel. Finally, I installed 1.0.2 from it's folder and here I am. Did I do good?

I usually set up and install the newer version and then uninstall the older
version, keeping it in a archive file that I zip up. That way the new install copies
all the preference items from before and if needed, I still have the older
version to fall back on.

surprised that all of my settings and bookmarks stayed in there, which I guess means that add/delete did not remove everything.

It is my understanding that the FF preference files do remain after uninstalling a version.

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users