Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

T1 Line And Managed Routers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

I run maintenance for two motels and am the IT tech by default with moderate computer skills. My question is about using a wireless router downstream from a managed router installed by our Ti line provider. The original installation used a 3Com wireless gateway (SSID name 'Router') with 4 ethernet ports that feed three access points in the back building. In addition, a wireless bridge was used to bring the wireless signal to the front building from the back building to feed 4 additional access points. We provided an unencrypted wireless network to provide Internet access to our guests during their stay.

The wireless gateway was damaged by lightning Friday afternoon and required replacement. That is when I discovered that the Adtran 612 was a managed router. Our service provider insisted that we replace the wireless gateway with an access point. A five port switch was added to feed the existing and undamaged access points in the back building. I suspect that a gateway was chosen to streamline the amount of actual equipment needed. I also suspect but can not confirm that the gateway was configured to act as an access point/switch.

Once the gateway was replaced with an access point and 5 port switch, our guests computers connect to our network much more quickly - 10 to 15 seconds now compared to 45 seconds to 90 seconds before. Upload and download speeds are comparable to speeds before the storm damage. We had received a few complaints about slow connect times. Those guests stated that their software would time out before completing the handshake between their computer and our network.

Therein lies my question: Why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users