Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speedfan Software: Innacurate Readings?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TTC

TTC

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

Hello everyone.

Recently I made a topic Here about an issue my computer experienced. I was recommended to try out the Speedfan software to see if my computer was overheating.
After the person helping me in the said thread came to a conclusion it might be, I decided to look further into the readings.

After cleaning out the internals of my PC, the temperature in all sections of it is relatively low. Usually lowest around 20, highest around 45 or 48. This is all except with one of the cores, which it usually reads between 60 and 76 degrees C. Here lies the problem: my pc is a intel duo 2 E6400. It only has two cores, but the software keeps on reading it as if I had three cores. (Core 0, Core 1, Core ) Two supposed 'cores' are at normal temperature (Core 0 and Core 1), usually only around 45-48 C. The possible 'core' in question (Core) reads between the 60 and 76C

I noticed however, when I put on a mmo program active that these values all tend to shift around. Some of the things that may have previously read around 40 C will read around -115 C. In one instance it read the GPU as being 116 C for a second, and then -127 C the next. The program only reads one core being the one that varies between 60-76 C, and disregards the other two temperature values of Core 0 and Core 1 (or perhaps mislabels them as something else). With the game open, it refuses to acknowledge that this computer has 2 cores.

My question is the following: Is the Speedfan software reliable at all? If it can be easily effected by another program being open that much, it leads me to think that it isn't really reliable in telling the heat values in my computer. Are there any reliable programs for telling what the heat values are in my computer?

Thank you,

TTC

Edited by TTC, 04 May 2008 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TTC

TTC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

please close this topic. I figured out what was going on with my computer's readings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users