Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help In Creating A Web Page

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adh_amit

adh_amit

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hi All,
I am trying to build a webpage for my personal use where I will like to have all informations which I track daily at one go..
I will like to compile a few stock quotes, some MF/ insurance funds daily quotes, dilbert strip, some local shopping news and other news filtered to my interests..
How can I achieve this? what new programming skill do I need?
I know google offers some readymade gadgets but I did not find anything perfectly fitting to my need.

So, please help me out.Please suggest a good starting point and what should be next steps..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

It sounds like what you want is a feed reader. Many sites (including BC!) offer RSS feeds of the latest of whatever the site is doing. Stock quotes, comic strips, etc. are all available in RSS form. For example, here are some of the NYSE stock-related feeds. All modern web browsers have RSS abilities built in, or you can download a purpose-built feed reading program.

If, however, you want to embed a feed into a webpage, that too is possible. You can do it the hard way, or the easy way. I'll assume the easy way and point you here: http://commons.ucalgary.ca/feed2js/build.php . Simple enter the RSS feed address and answer a few questions and it will spit out some javascript for you to put in your page.

But how to find a pages RSS feed address? On a site you want a feed from, look for a link that either says something like "RSS" or is an image like this one: Posted Image. That's the link to their RSS feed. Copy the address into the form I mentioned earlier or a feed reading program.

Look along the top of this page you're reading right now, for example. On the right, there are several links: Chat, Blogs, Search, Members, Help, and RSS. Clicking the RSS link will take you to a list of RSS links.

I hope this helps and hasn't been too confusing.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 04 May 2008 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users