Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 chamberrun

chamberrun

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:07 AM

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get windows to start on my mother in lawes computer and everytime I start the thing its says, "A problem with your hard drive has been detected" If i go into SAFE MODE or just continue it says " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. \D\RUNMENU.EXE\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM I have NO idea what this means or what to do. Any help would be great!!!!! Its a gateway with windows pre-installed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:28 AM

Not real sure why you are getting this message but give the following article a look. You will probably need the recovery disks that came from Gateway to recover.

http://support.gateway.com/support/manlib/...19/08319chn.htm

Good Luck
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:32 AM

1. Are you sure the path is like as you written?

2. Does the PC has a D partition or it is the CD/DVD-ROM drive?

#4 chamberrun

chamberrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

I belive the path is correct also it says <windows root> \system32\config\system No idea about this either. I belive its the CD/DVD-ROM drive

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

The second line makes sense and just misses a files name.
The first one doesn't make much sense, the path start with D then a file then a folder, ...
I think D should be the CD/DVD-ROM drive, check to see if the CD/DVD-ROM drive is empty. Post back when you make sure it is empty.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

I've had issues with Gateways and drive letter assignments at work - but nothing with the RUNMENU.EXE line.
I'd guess that the system was looking for the Gateway restore CD (maybe there was an attempt to restore the system that didn't complete?).

Since there's an issue with the hard drive mentioned, I'd also suggest visiting the website of the manufacturer of the hard drive to download a bootable diagnostic CD (usually free) that you can check the hard drive with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 chamberrun

chamberrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

It will not let me do anything, can I download this to a disk from a working computer? I have tried the windows recovery console as well but nothing, currently i am trying chkdsk /p but its very verry slow have been at 50% complete for over an hour!!! I have tried EXPAND D:\I386\HAL.DL_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HAL.DLL BUT ALL IT SAID WAS UNABLE TO CREATE FILE HAL.DLL 0 FILES EXPANDED i HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS HOPEFULLY SOMETHING WORKS :thumbsup:

Edited by chamberrun, 04 May 2008 - 06:06 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:07 PM

When you visit the hard drive manufacturer's they'll have a file to download, and will have some instructions on making the disk bootable - you'll have to do this on another computer. Then you'll take the disk to your computer, insert it, turn the computer on and tell it to boot from the CD. The test should run according to the directions on the hard drive manufacturer's website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 chamberrun

chamberrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

the computer is a gateway, I do i find the hard drive manufacturer's is it gateway??

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

FWIW: Chkdsk /p won't do anything for your system...you need to run either chkdsk /f or chkdsk /r in order to get anything repaired.

The chkdsk /r routine includes everything chkdsk /f does plus a recovery from bad sectors on the hard drive.

Louis

#11 chamberrun

chamberrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thank you will give it a try, can not thank you guys enough, I am very lost when it comes to this kind of stuff.!! :thumbsup:

#12 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

The manufacturer of the hard drive won't be Gateway. Since you can't boot the system, you won't be able to retrieve system information from the computer itself. If you know the model number and service tag number you can go to Gateway's site and plug the information in the search engine and then you can find out who made the hard drive. Just follow the link:

http://support.gateway.com/support/default.asp

Hope this helps...

#13 chamberrun

chamberrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

I found out its a Western Digital 40-GB 30XL Hard Disk Drive but can not find out where to download a bootable diagnostic CD, went to both the gateway website and the western digital!

#14 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

Try going to the same link above...click on the drivers and downloads tab...plug in the computer model and other information that you have...search for hard drive in the drop down box...check results...it may give you the diagnostic tool that you need.

http://support.gateway.com/support/default.asp

Edited by douglas martin, 04 May 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#15 chamberrun

chamberrun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:11 PM

I belive this is what i need, do not know for sure but will give it a try, never even made a disk before, so this should be freakin great.

DLG Diagnostic
Ver. 5.04c
ZIP Version (1,538 KB)
EXE Version (1,823 KB)
June, 2004

The Diagnostics utility allows you to test the drive, print results for last drive tested, repair errors found during the Test Drive option and write zeros to the drive. To use this utility, please download the file to your computer. If using the ZIP version of the file, then next unzip the utility. Finally, just run the program "DLGDiagv504c.exe" which will walk you through the steps to create a bootable diagnostic diskette.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users