Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acespy 3.8

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rock1335

rock1335

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:56 AM

Someone has placed acespy 3.8 on my computer? Can this be done remotely or did it have to be done from my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

Hi and welcom :thumbsup:

I presume you know what this program does ?

what is your windows version, your antivirus program

and may one ask , as your profile does not mention it , if you are a teanager or an adult ?

one also hopes it is a legitimate version of the program as a google search throws up links to 'crack' downloads which does not bode well for your machine
if you are on XP or similar can you still get your updates from the microsoft site and when did you last do this ?

Edited by ruby1, 04 May 2008 - 09:56 AM.

#3 rock1335

rock1335
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

Yes, I am an adult, this is my own private computer, and I do know that the program is listed as a keystroke recorder, e-mail recorder, and according to their site, it can pretty much capture everything done on my computer and send all info to someone else's e-mail. If my anti-spyware has quarantined this program does this stop it?

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

in which case, what IS your windows version, your antivirus program and what other protection do you have on there?

do you have another machine you can work on pro temp as you might be best to assume your computer security hass been compromised
also see this
http://www.spywareguide.com/spydet_656_acespy.html

scroll down to manual removal

>?? how long HAS this item been on there to your knowledge? do you leave your computer on and unattended: do you do MSN?

#5 rock1335

rock1335
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your assistance. I have win XP, My security is through Bellsouth/ATT which is my network provider. A scan is done every week, acespy was not on last week, showed up after scan last night. my computer is at home, left on all the time, unattended freq., I am currently having problems with U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms and I am wondering if they put it on??

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

I don't think an 80$ security program just up and installed on it's own
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 rock1335

rock1335
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

Interesting, I had not thought things had gotten this bad!, perhaps I need to reassess my situation.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

my suggestion for starters would be to disconnect the affected computer from the 'network'

(this is ONE very good reason why a computer should NEVER be left on and unattended )
IS anyone else able to have access to it while you are away from it ?
you need to work on one that is known to be 'clean ' and I suggest , if this IS for real and not a mistake flag up by your programs that your security has been compromised

do you have your computer's cd and licence key to hand?

#9 rock1335

rock1335
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

Ace Spy 3.8 Registry hkey_classes_root \clsid\{27395f85-0c0c-101b-a3c9-08002b2f49fb}\inprocserver32 Quarantine
Ace Spy 3.8 Registry hkey_classes_root \interface\{27395f87-0c0c-101b-a3c9-08002b2f49fb}\typelib Quarantine
Ace Spy 3.8 Registry hkey_classes_root \interface\{4d6cc9b0-df77-11cf-8e74-00a0c90f26f8}\typelib Quarantine

This is what showed up on my spyware scan

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

with respect; you may have 'quarantined' it...but what 'damage' information -wise has already been done from its presense on your computer and from that which may be to come FROM the info someone has probably received about your computer and your activities?

others may disagree but it that were mine I would most probably send it in for wiping and rebuilding

think THIS way; how DID that program get on there and why ?

via an attachement on an email or.......opening a file you thought was safe......

and how much of what you are doing NOW on the computer is still being transmitted to whomever by whatever means .......

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

from the rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

mr phelps, this thread will be closed shortly
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

If you are the owner, Administrator, and only user of this system, and have not allowed remote access to another, then you may have been hacked or another has had real access to your system. This program usually requires hands-on access.

First look in your ADD/Remove programs list to see if AceSpy is present there and try to remove it.

This link is to the AceSpy FAQs.

If you are not the owner, Administrator.... etc, then according to our board rules, we cannot help you further.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#13 rock1335

rock1335
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

Yes, I am the owner of this computer!!!! The only security being violated here is mine!! and all I am trying to find out is how this program is loaded? Does somebody have to come into my house and place this program? Or can it be done through the internet?

#14 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Take a deep breath and relax.

As I said above, the program is usually loaded in locally. If you don't find it in your Add/Remove programs list, then you may have some other problems.

I'm going to ask you to follow all the instructions here in our Preparation Guide for HiJackThis.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#15 rock1335

rock1335
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the help everone, I think I am going to have to take care of this myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users