Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Quicken- Lost Use Of Sys Restore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 k jacobs

k jacobs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

In an effort to free up space on an almost full c/drive I deleted ALL of quicken. I lost use of system restore and hibernation. I thought I would easily be able to re-download quicken if needed from the disks that came with my sony vaio. Not the case, there are no disks for the reinstallment of anything.
From research I"ve done I believe some of the components deleted were needed to run these now disabled features. My sony cd pack includes the following disks: 3 system recovery, 2 application recovery, 1 driver recovery, and a word perfect-corel, that may or may not have come with sony. I thought I would be able to use the app recovery and simply re-install quicken. Can't figure out how to use it. Help! Thx in advance, very happy with the knowledge I've gained from reading articles here,

ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

http://esupport.sony.com/
Read section D. I didn't read the entire article, but it looks like you might be reinstalling everything
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 k jacobs

k jacobs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

looked at this earlier, and kinda drew same conclusion. Ihave a different video card, same manufacturer as original. My fear in something as comprehensive as total replacement is overlooking 1 tiny thing and totally junking my comp. I have 2 physical drives, a C and D, the D does not use page memory if i'm saying it right, tried to expand page memory on both drives to improve performance and found D drive as type that could not do this. Question is how will different video card affect a total recovery attempt and can I use the D drive as a place to store and recover a total system back up from? Never tried this kinda thing b-4. Will the process wipe out things stored on the d drive? Should the back up be cd or external drive? how about buying a quicken software and installing, or would that be a shot in dark? thnx again

#4 k jacobs

k jacobs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

computer came with windows xp, I added svc pak 2 and other updates. The odd thing is sony says pop in recovery cd and install wizard will appear. I get no install wizard, that is what I originally expected, and thought reinstall of quicken would be easy.

solved part of problem for sure, device driver for quicken, mrtRATE, was in conflict. Disabled it and standby mode working fine. Did search at microsoft.com used gist of error message and led to article how to fix. %$5&%@ computer!!
Finding that one can solve many problems by searching proper sites with proper search, hard to keep your head rite when aggravated. Thx to all.

Edited by k jacobs, 04 May 2008 - 02:17 PM.

#5 k jacobs

k jacobs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:10 PM

still cant get sony recovery cd's to work. Spent an hour on yhe phone (paid $$) andthey said a set up wizard should open when I insert cd into drive. Doesn't happen. I can manually open the f drive and view contents of cd, and there is a set up file, but it will not open. I found instructions on the web that said you need to open the recovery wizard in control panel to reload apps from recovery cd. I can find no recovery wizard in control panel. Any ideas out there?
they had me insert cd and do a restart and still nothing. Young lady on phone didnt sound all that experienced.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

I've found the Sony Recovery stuff in the Help and Support link on some system (mostly Vista tho')
Can you enter your BIOS and change the boot order to put the CD first? (that's what's "standard" on most Sony's) It's either F2 or F3 on most of them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users