Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Printer Verses Router & Network Question

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

Got a D-Link 615 for my girlfriend and I'm in charge of setting things up and maintaining them. Basic installation is all done and I'm happy with the wireless capabilities that it has - even have my cell phone running VoIP, etc.

Here's the rub:

She has a portable running Vista and that's connected to the wireless network. No problem. Her old computer is an old Mac which I have connected to the router by wire. She has an all-in-one printer that is not wireless.

What we want is for everything to be on the same network to support file sharing and printing from any computer.

At present, the Mac can print since the printer is plugged directly into that. Printing from the new portable involves carrying it to the printer and plugging it in, in place of the Mac. Since I'm not a Mac expert, I don't know how to get both computers operating on the same network so that they can share files.

I'm not at her place and don't want to spend a lot of time experimenting, while she complains that working on the computer is all I ever do. I've looked through the manual, and as one might expect - it's all about wireless. The Mac makes its internet connection by being plugged into the router, and I'm wondering whether I might be able to plug the printer into the router allowing access from both computers. Is that possible?

Or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users