Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Built Comp Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gagd

gagd

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

Attached File  030520080680.JPG   352.53KB   29 downloadsI recently bought a custommade pc on the internet, and i received it by mail yesterday. I plugged everything in and it was fine, i installed crysis and it ran smoothly. I then left my computer to do some business for a few hours. In the meanwhile my bro had turned off the computer on the front switch (don't ask me why). I come back and turn on the computer, and it gets stuck at the POST. I went in to the BIOS setup and installed the latest firmware from a cd but it didn't work. I can't enter safe mode either cause the comp freezes before the boot options appear. It won't let me boot from a cd either, cause it freezes before it normally would load the cd. I have attached a photo of the point where it freezes. I desperately need help.

Here r the specs for my comp:
-Asus M3A AMD 770
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz
-Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 4GB
-Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 320 GB
-Gainward GeForce 9600GT 512 MB
-Samsung DVD-burner
-600W Silver Power PSU
-Windows Vista home premium 32 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:04 AM

Quick,stupid question, Is the a CD or DVD in the tray anywhere?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 gagd

gagd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

No, tried booting with the windows dvd too but nothing happened (after setting dvd drive to top priority in BIOS)... I really hope that i won't have to send my comp back to the workshop, but it starts to look like my only option

#4 gagd

gagd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Attached File  040520080690.JPG   126.1KB   24 downloadsI read another topic called "F1 Error After New Dvd Drive Fitted And Retart After Shutdown" and i noticed something garmamma said. "Ideally the hard drive should be the primary IDE". I checked my own BIOS setup and found out that my DVD station has been set as the primary IDE. Could this have any relevance to my problem?

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

I don't believe so. Your DVD drive uses an IDE connection, while your Hard Drive uses SATA.

This is a random shot in the dark, but if you don't have a floppy drive installed, disable it in your bios. In that second picture you have it says Legacy Diskette A 1.44M 3.5 in. See if you can disable it. I don't know if that will help, but I know that on my computer, if my cmos is reset, a different black looking screen will come up to tell me some error with my floppy drive (which I don't have one).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 gagd

gagd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

That didn't work either, thx for the advice though.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

What initial changes have you made to the BIOS? Remove the motherboard battery for 15 minutes. Turn back on and re-enter the BIOS and set the date and time, nothing else. Reboot and see what happens
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 gagd

gagd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

I tried updating the firmware, underclocked the cpu, changed boot priority, did whatever i could think of. Also tried taking out the battery, didn't help either. This is a complete mystery to me, i guess i'll just send it back to the workshop :thumbsup:

Edited by gagd, 05 May 2008 - 12:08 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:30 AM

Not to be foolish...but what are your BIOS boot options?

If the SATA drive is not first or elected properly...it may stall everything, IMO.

And it won't hurt to check the connections on the drives.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users