Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 junior40

junior40

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

Hello, I am new here and this is my first post here. Hopefully I am posting in the right forum. I come here to find some help on a problem I have. I hope I can explain my problem clear so I can get the right help. Ok here it goes....Just recently I have a problem with my 2nd hardrive. It has all of my music, videos, and Ipod stuff. Its been working fine all these years then all of a sudden it doesnt work. I can't access my itunes or any of my music. When i click on my 2nd hardrive its says if i want to reformat now...I dont know why its saying this but hopefully I can still get to my music. I havent done anything to mess it up or erase anything. If i did i would be devastated because it has a lot of music and videos on there. What can I do to fix this problem??? And I didnt click on yes to reformat I didnt touch anything so what can i do? Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:50 AM

Welcome to BC
At the top of this page there is a sticky for HDD problems. Find the link to your manufacturers diagnostic program. Run it and see what it says. There are data recovery programs and services out there, but they'll cost you. Start with the diagnostics tho

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

Just to ensure that all is understood...you cannot read anything on that 2d drive?

What is the exact error message that appears when you try to access the drive?

Is it an internal or external (drive in USB 2.0 case)?

Louis

#4 junior40

junior40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

all it says is...

The disk in drive D is not formated
Do you want to format now?

thats all its says...and i cant read anything...its so weird cause it worked fine for all these years and i didnt do anything to mess it up? What can i do?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

OK :thumbsup:.

The first thing I would check...all connections to/from the drive. Seems routine, but I must confess...it's my biggest failing when I think I have HD problems.

If the drive is an IDE/PATA drive connected inside the computer...check the jumper setting on the drive. If you have it connected to the end connector, the drive should be set as either Master or Cable Select, both work. If there is another drive on the middle connector, then it's jumper must be also set to Slave or Cable Select...but it must be the same pair (CS/CS or Master/Slave) of settings for both drives.

If the drive is a SATA drive, ignore jumper settings.

Next, I would check the BIOS recognition of the drives (all drives) properly.

If all drives are properly recognized in the BIOS and all connections are solid, then I would take a look in Disk Management, to see what it displays for that drive. If the drive shows up in DM as properly partitioned and with data on it...that's good. If it shows up there as a blank slate, you have problems.

Let us know what these few steps indicate and we can go on.

Is there another computer system available to you...to possibly connect this drive to?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users