Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:\$extend\$objid Is Corrupt And Unreadable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jefffox

jefffox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:58 PM

I dont have a clue ...during boot up, my laptop flashed a screen reading (something like) "checking file system on c:
type of file NTFS"
and then gave me 9 seconds to allow or not...had no clue so i let it...WOW
it started checking and quickly showed a full screen of lines reading "inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 31752" with the last line just blinking...forever. i finally shut down by holding the power button. when i restarted, at the option to not check for consistancy, i said no. When desktop opened, i was flooded with alerts that many files were corrupt and unreadable...i would guess at least 50. i ran Eusing registry cleaner and after that i was left with only 2 alerts...one related to a fonts tff file,(c:\windows\fonts\margett.tff) is corrupt and unreadable, and the infamous c:\$extend\$ObjId is corrupt and unreadable.
in google, this seems to happening a lot. i hadn't used that computer in quite a while, so last week i updated all of my security programs...didnt seem to cause any probs at the time.
any advice would, of course, be appreciated.
jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hi Jefffox and welcome to Bleepingcomputer
Take a look here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...06064049AAPZrxs and here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...26170751AA6AjdT

Are you having something that looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chkdsk scrool down the page until you see a typical results.
Does it look like that? Before you shut down your computer what does the results say, Does it JUST say inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 31752.

Regards
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

I would run chkdsk /r on that partition.

Chkdsk /f is the system's utility for repairing problems such as it seems you might have. Chkdsk /r (additionally) recovers data from bad sectors, as well as doing the 3 main fixes done by chkdsk /f.

The equivalent of chkdsk /r can be run from My Computer by using the Graphical Version procedures outlined in XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Put check marks in both options (scan, recover) if using the Graphical Version...and let it run to completion.

Louis

#4 jefffox

jefffox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

'preciate the feedback...yes, it just says "inserting an index entry into the index $0 of file 31752"
i ran dskchk again as you suggested, and it hung up again...when i checked the log (after i had to shut down using the power button, and rebooted, the log had no entries related to anything...still get constant warnings about the $Extent\$ObjId being corrupt and unreadable. what i dont have much of value saved on the hard drive...and all my programs are still available...would reformatting the drive help, and would it have a down side???
thanks
jeff

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:13 AM

Just a thought, but if chkdsk is generating repeated errors, one possible cause is a failing/dying hard drive. Try a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) to see if it's the disk itself
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users