Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mkw

mkw

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

Hi all,

Starting up my HP Pavilion 8415 I got a message that the Win.com file could not be located. I ran the HP Recovery CD and thought that re-formatting the computer would solve the problem, only that half way through it aborted and I could not proceed. (It's a second computer and I don't have any vital info saved on it.)

I ran the recovery disk manually and went through step by step, only I get a message at the same recovery point each time saying "Bad memory image in FAT detected". I ran the HP diagnostics feature and it indicated errors in the computers memory.

Now I have a hard drive that has been wiped and no way of running the recovery CD and problems with the memory. What is going on? Is this something that can be relatively easy to resolve or does this computer require major surgery??

Appreciate any help.

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FTT

FTT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 05:51 PM

I'd test the memory of your PC with Memtest86 first, then test the hard drive's integrity with the software from the respective manufacturer's software ie Maxblast for Maxtors, Data Lifeguard for Western Digitals etc.

Even ScanDisk may reveal some bad sectors on the drive and if on any sectors near the beginning of the drive, they may have ruined a pertinent file(s) needed by your OS to function.

Possibly booting to Knoppix and testing the drive from there can provide some answers as well.

#3 mkw

mkw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:29 AM

Cheers FTT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users