Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wd Harddrive Geeking Out!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 03impala9c1

03impala9c1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:41 PM

i have a wd1600xms-00 external harddrive that was used on this computer very often. It holds all of my music and videos. then one day probably 3 months ago now it quit reading on the computer. every time i plug it in the blue light turns from dim to bright, randomly gives the tones of connecting and disconnecting from my computer and windows cannot recognize the usb device.... ive tried everything i know of (which isnt much [ill admit that]). WHAT CAN I DO?!?! i have sucessfully hooked it up to one other computer once...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:47 PM

Sooo...you're saying that it works properly on a different system?

No error messages of any sort regarding this nonrecognition?

At the very least...I suggest connecting it to known good system and running chkdsk /r on the drive in question.

How to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console:

1. Insert XP CD. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
2. Type the numeral "1" to choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
3. When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password. If there is no administrator password, leave it blank and just press ENTER.
4. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
5. When Chkdsk has finished running, read the results, and then take any necessary steps to complete the process.
6. Restart the computer, if it does not restart on its own.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users