Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Died On Me :(

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wtfcats

wtfcats

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

My computer just up and turned off on me, i was playing Crysis, had windows live messenger in the background along with firefox, hamachi, and probably a couple of folders. When i go to turn it back on the LED/fans on the case flicker on for an instant then turn back off. The motherboard light is on. I noticed that when it first turned itself off that the powersupply was hot. I think it might be a power supply problem but i could be wrong... just wanted some other more experienced opinions.

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 or 9600 or whatever it is
Nvidia 8800GT
i am not sure what else is needed... 1 SATA DVD drive, 1 IDE Hard drive, 4 gigs of ram, bout 2 case fans, 1 on the motherboard and the one on the power supply. and of course one on the CPU.
oh 450W power supply.

i hope this information is enough to help you guys know what is going on...

EDIT: i just turned the back power back on to give it another try... i noticed that there are 2 motherboard lights... initially it is just a blue light next to "STBY" i assume standby then there is an orange light that comes on after i attempt to turn the computer on "CR12J2" i do not have the manual for my motherboard here so i cannot say what that means... hope it helps.

Edited by wtfcats, 03 May 2008 - 05:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 andrewp730

andrewp730

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

try resetting your CMOS.There should be a jumper that does this.Look in the manual of you otherboard.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

s

Edited by Grinler, 07 May 2008 - 03:23 PM.
Dangerous tactic for a novice.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

pretty small supply to run all that, you probably overworked it having everything running full bore. If it is the power supply when you replace it get something 600W or better. Especially running something as demanding as crysis with background apps on top of it.

#5 wtfcats

wtfcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:11 PM

kay yeah the power supply does not turn on therefore we will say she died thanks a lot for your help and suggestion... thinking 750W :thumbsup: (was an old power supply anyway and i was leery of it being big enough)

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:19 AM

That graphics card has minimum 400W PSU requirement whick the 750W will surpass, but it also requires a minimum 22amp on the 12V rail.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 wtfcats

wtfcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

not sure what to do about ampage... and yeah it said it requiredd a minimum 450W so i was like ok ill do that... out of boredom and curiosity i popped open my power supply... 1. 470microfarad capacitors are huge 2. lol melted stuff all over

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

Be sure to short out those capacitors before you handle them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 wtfcats

wtfcats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:50 PM

lol yeah i know took electrical courses... but thanks for the caution

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

depending on your price requirements This would work perfect, It has 3 12V rails @ 19 amps each. Its also Nvidia SLI Certified. Rosewill makes some good power supplies too. I have 2 of them running my machines, although I don't have very extreme systems.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users