Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Performance Windows Install.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

What would include in the smallest and safest Windows Installer?

I run CAD software which puts a high tax on my system. I want to optimize it by doing a clean install of Windows XP and am wondering what you would include to keep the system operating at peak performance with the smallest amount of bloat?

So far ive used nLite to trim down the WinXP install and include service packs. Im thinking CCleaner, Firefox, and AVG-Antivirus. Feel free to add more! I WILL NOT USE NORTON/McCafae n' Friends.

I want a clean smooth running system with high-speed internet capability and im loading iTunes also. Remember this is a software question not a hardware question.

Also im talking about things i can install and run before i ever take the system online. The idea is to get the system up, running, and stable before i expose it to the wide world of viruses known as the interwebs.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

Hi,
Take a look at this forum there is alot of protection methods: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

Well bascially you need to have ONE anti-virus, then depending on your computer you can have 2 anti-spyware programs and a firewall or two firewall.
I use Avg anti-virus 8.0, ad-aware, spybot S&D and spyware blaster the firewall is Windows Firewall . Spywareblaster is a very good program to use it protects against spywares and secure your Internet Explorer to make it harder for ActiveX programs to run on your computer. If you really want your internet to be secure you can also use spywareguard. Spywareguard protects your computer against Spyware and Hijackers. Spywareguard will run with your virus scan, but instead of alerting you when you are about to run a program that is infected with a virus, it tells you when you are about to run a Spyware/Hijacker.

Tutorials on spywareblaster and Spywareguard can be found here:
Spywareblaster
Spywareguard
Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Edit: Bad grammar
Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 04 May 2008 - 12:58 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

Of course...one of the most important steps is often overlooked by users...downloading/installing critical updates in a timely manner.

To maximize performance, I follow one very simple rule: I don't install fluff on my system and I uninstall programs which I find that I no longer utilize in a meaningful manner.

I also do not allow everything to run at startup just because the program installer put a link in my system calling for such.

If you think of your computer system...in the same manner that you might think of a high-performance car which someone has bought for you...you'll do the right things :thumbsup:.

...and you don't even have to worry about how pretty the system is.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 May 2008 - 02:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users