Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recent Problems Found With Kaspersky

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CMC024

CMC024

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hello, just signed up recently and was having some trouble starting topics but now that is resolved, I had a few concerns regarding my computer.

I recently installed Kaspersky after my Norton subscription was out and instantly Kaspersky found many Packed.Win32.Monder.gen files throughout my computer.
Mixed with that is recently I've been getting "messages from unknown senders," or I guess bots, on MSN as well. I've also started to experience a bit of lag but that might just be Kaspersky's scanner, not sure.

I was hoping anyone had any idea on whether I'm infected? Or if those Monder.gen files were anything serious?

Thanks for any help!
- CMC

Edited by CMC024, 03 May 2008 - 01:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

welcom to this site :thumbsup: may one ask for how long you were evidently running 'unprotected' and how you removed the Norton from the computer ?

what other protection programs do you have on board and which is your windows version ?

and naturally you are nOT using MSN or email while you may be infected

#3 CMC024

CMC024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

Hello ruby1 and thanks for the welcome,

I was running 'unprotected' for about 5 or 6 hours max. I've had this computer since August 2006 and have had Norton throughout. After my last subscription ended, I installed Kaspersky's new one because I've heard Kaspersky has a good anti-virus program and Norton was using a lot of my sources.

I allowed Kaspersky to remove Norton and I tried to look for it in Add/Remove to see if it's still there, but it was gone.

I run Windows XP Professional Media Center Edition and I am also using ZoneAlarm for my firewall.

And, if I understand you correctly, I HAVE been using MSN and e-mail because I pretty much have to since we have to get our marks for school and such. :thumbsup:

If you need any more information, please ask.

Thanks!
- CMC

Edited by CMC024, 03 May 2008 - 05:03 PM.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

I suggest you will need to run this tool on there due TO nortons glueability TO computers

norton removal tool link

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039

with respect; if you know you ARE infected you should NOT be emailing nor MSN'ing as you will doubtless be sending YOUR infection to others :thumbsup:

do you have ANY other protection on there apart FROM your antivirus program?

if not download and install superantispyware; fully update the definitions, reboot your computer and lauch the program from its deskktop icon ;run a full deep scan OFF line; let us know what it flags up
the exe is
http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users