Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Anti Virus Software Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

Compaq Presario 5000, Model 5BW220, Made 7/19/00, Windows XP Pro, 15 Gig master drive, 37 Gig slave drive, 512 MB RAM, 631 MHz Intel Celeron processor, Compaq 06C0 motherboard

I have a number of antivirus software questions. I included all the questions I have in one post because itís easier that way. Answer whichever ones you feel like. Whatís the difference between anti virus scanners like AVG, Avast, Norton, etc. and firewalls like ZoneAlarm, Comodo, etc.? Donít the scanners operate constantly just like the firewalls? How many scanners are adequate? Iím using AVG and Avast. I also have Symantec. Doesnít Symantec interfere with Avast? Symantec keeps turning back on after I disenable it. Symantec regularly quarantines Trojan Horse viruses, so is Symantec worth keeping? I also have AT&T Online Protection. Do I need this? Should I just delete it? I am currently using these anti virus programs and utilities: Free Internet Window Washer, Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware, CCleaner, Spybot Search and Destroy, IE Spyad, MVPS Hosts File, Winpatrol. Are these sufficient or overkill? Do you recommend others? Thanks for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

You need to sort through all that software (especially bundled applications) and get down to:
1. One Anti-virus (resident and turn on for real-time protection.
2. One Firewall that will scan both incoming and outgoing packets. Firewalls operate entirely different than AVs; the latter will only look for defined malware, while a Firewall scans all packets for legitimacy and will also "mask" your computer to the outside world.
3. Two or three (depending on your browsing habits and whether you are cautious about where you go) anti-spyware applications, any of which may have some sort of real-time protection.

Multiple AVs will slow down your computer, and often report the other's definition file as an infection. Multiple Firewalls can also slow down your computer, and produce serious conflicts when trying to handle packets.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

this thread of yours

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/145743/trojan-horse-warnings/

suggests that you have gotten infected FROM having multiple antivirus programs installed simultaneously ; OR maybe you do not understand what each of the programs you HAVE got 'does'? :thumbsup:

#4 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

You need to sort through all that software (especially bundled applications) and get down to:
1. One Anti-virus (resident and turn on for real-time protection.

I maybe going off the topic but i just wanted to get this out of my chest, what is really meant by real time protection???

thank you

Edited by -Cloud, 08 May 2008 - 12:13 PM.

#5 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

A quick read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_protection

#6 -Cloud

-Cloud

• Members
  • 121 posts