Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost My Windows Character Set

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shyama

shyama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:14 AM

I went to click on my toolbar icon for Windows Character Set (I wanted the symbol for half) and yikes! it wasn't there. No problem I thought, it's under START MENU / PROGRAMS / ACCESSORIES. I'll find it there and make a new shortcut. But double yikes! it wasn't there either. My Windows Character Set had disappeared and I don't know where it went.
So I ran a search on my hard-drive for CHARACTER and drew a blank. I can't figure out how to get back my Character Set.
I had a look on Microsoft.com for info. on downloading or re-installing Character Set but I think if I was to now dedicate my whole life to searching Microsoft.com, at the end I'd simply be lost. It's madness in there.
Can anyone help me get back my Windows Character Set :thumbsup: ?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:50 PM

You don't say what version of Win OS you are using.

In my XP Home...
To open "Character Map", I go to All Programs-Accesories-System Tools-Character Map.

If it is missing, you will need to use Windows Setup to reinstall it.

You will need your Windows CD-ROM.
(Procedure should be similar for all Win OS.)

Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel. Click on Add/Remove Programs.
Then click on the Windows Setup tab. Scroll down, choose System Tools,
and double-click. A window with more choices will now pop up.
Place a check-mark in the box in front of Character Map.
Click OK twice, and the Character Map will be installed.

regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 shyama

shyama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:08 PM

Thanks, Koan. Yes, it's XP Home. Sorry I forgot to mention that. But no, aint no Character Map any more under System Tools.
So yes, when I get home (I'm on the road now) I'll try and reinstall as you suggest. Thanks again.

#4 qaman10

qaman10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:42 AM

First of all, make sure the program is really missing. Go to Start-Run and type charmap. Click on OK and your Character Map should show up. IF it does, you simply need to recreate the short-cut somewhere, either on your desktop or in C:\Documents & Settings\user name\start menu\programs\accessories

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users