Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peer To Peer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:39 AM

Hello all,

My girlfriend likes to download music on peer to peer networks and I know its the devil. But she needs her music and I need my peace of mind. What do you think would be the safest one? Also is there any kind of software I can get to check the download before I download it. I am running a COMODO firewall but that really isnt going to help me seeings I am going to have to allow the connection. I am also running

Avast
SUPERAntiSpyware
SpywareTerminatior
MalwareBytes
SpyBlaster

I am also running Fire Fox for my browser. Do you know can I scan a download using any of these programs before I actually download it or do I have to download it first? Also if I do have to download it first, is there somewhere on my PC that I can send it or somewhere I can create on my PC that I can send it so that the virus, trojan, malware, sypeware,anti-root kit whatever doesn't load on the PC. Then be able to scan it with my Anti-spyware virus programs. I am not sure if I even posted this in the right section. But if you could drop some input it would be helpful.

Thank you,

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

Do you have, or have you ever tried McAfee SiteAdvisor?

Here's the link for Firefox:

http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ff_preinstall.html

It informs you about sites they have checked out and found to be safe or unsafe and it's totally free!

Edited by Bartster, 03 May 2008 - 11:27 AM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

Most anti virus programs come with the ability to scan anything you download via the right click menu. I have Norton and it has that. Convincing your girlfriend to do that on every file she downloads is another issue. I don't think Site Advisor is what you're looking for because you're referring to individual P2P file downloads.

#4 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

frankp316:

You are absolutely correct. ( Bartster bows head in shame )

#5 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

Depending on the program used to download the music, there is an option to right click on the file within the program & use Bitzi Lookup to check on the status of a file. For example, in Limewire you right ckick on the file & use Advanced > Look Up File with Bitzi.

You may also wan to read through this post:
WARNING: Viruses on network you should be aware of!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users