Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F1 Error After New Dvd Drive Fitted And Retart After Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 callista

callista

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

Hi, sorry if this is not in the correct place, mods please move if not.

Since an engineer replaced a faulty DVD drive under warranty the computer halts on F1 error, there are too many entries in the device manager and I wonder if the entry was removed for the faulty drive.

The warranty has now expired, day after the drive was fitted, I assume I need to delete several entries but am not sure which ones; I have enclosed prints of boot screen and the device manager.

I also have the problem now, when shutdown, it does for 5 seconds or so before restarting itself. The system is a 3.4 Intel, Asus P5GDC deluxe running XP home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:34 AM

I notice it is installed on the same connection as the hard drive and you have 3 IDE connections
Ideally the hard drive should be on the Primary IDE connection, jumpered as Master
The DVD drive should be on the Secondary IDE, also jumpered as Master.
The most likely scenario is that both devices have the jumper set to Master and they're on the same connection. On the back of each device, you'll see a series or pins like this, : : : : A small plastic jumper must be placed over certain pins to determine the setting. Some where on the device will be a small diagram to show which pins need to be jumpered
You probably just need to plug the DVD drive into 2 IDE connector on the motherboard, with it's own cable

Edited by garmanma, 03 May 2008 - 08:52 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

garmanma, it's not 3 IDE connections showing, that board has 3 IDE channels.

callista, the ASUS servers are not enabling me to download a manual at the moment, but the Sony drive seems to be installed on the third IDE channel, one of the RAID capable channels provided by the second on-board IDE controller. There is an inconsistency between the POST device report and the BIOS setup screen: POST reports a non-ATAPI compliant device, BIOS setup detects no device at all in the same location.

Without seeing the instruction manual, I'd suggest:

As garmanma says, it should be best for the drive to be on the Secondary IDE channel instead of the Tertiary one, and you should ensure it is correctly jumpered as Master. Plugging it into the other red IDE socket (the Secondary channel) may cure some things, as Windows does not seem to have correctly set up the Tertiary channel.

For that, do you have the motherboard chipset drivers installed, and the drivers for the IT8212 RAID controller? And the IT8212 controller set to non-RAID mode in the BIOS setup if there is such an option?

For the POST & BIOS setup device inconsistency, is there anywhere in the BIOS setup that the 3rd IDE slave is designated as a CD-ROM (possibly in the IDE Configuration section)? If so set it to Auto or None. If a non-existent device is manually set to CD-ROM, that can cause the BIOS to conclude there must be a non-ATAPI compliant device there.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Thank you Platypus. It was before coffee and I edited it so many times I lost my train of thought
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

It was before coffee

A recipe for disaster... :D

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:28 PM

interesting, what was the actual drive that was replaced?

the sony is on the single non raid pata connector

Edited by DaChew, 03 May 2008 - 07:36 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

I am thinking the enginner pulled a pata drive and messed up setting the sony as slave or even cable select and the wrong position on the cable

make me want to turn in my tau beta pi
Chewy

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

make me want to turn in my tau beta pi

OUCH! That hurt :thumbsup: :flowers:
Mark
Posted Image

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

an engineer replaced a faulty DVD drive under warranty... The warranty has now expired, day after the drive was fitted

The repair was done as a warranty repair by an engineer from the system manufacturer?

Then even if the overall warranty of the system has expired, you are entitled for the product to function correctly following the repair. Most jurisdictions would require the repair to be warranted under consumer protection provisions. In Australia where I am a repairer, a warranty repair must be itself warranted for 3 months, even if this carries the warranty for that repair beyond the expiry of the warranty for the entire product.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

@garmanma I never knew

regarding computer repairs and upgrades, people make mistakes, that's how we learn to do this kind of work and trouble shoot problems, we just learn not to repeat our mistakes, hopefully

:thumbsup:
Chewy

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:32 AM

@garmanma I never knew

regarding computer repairs and upgrades, people make mistakes, that's how we learn to do this kind of work and trouble shoot problems, we just learn not to repeat our mistakes, hopefully

:thumbsup:

I was replying to the clever pun :flowers:
Mark
Posted Image

#12 callista

callista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup: I have followed your advice and set the 3rd slave to off; this has solved the halt on boot error, but not the restarts.

Looking at the connections, there is no 2nd IDE channel: a primary IDE, primary raid IDE and secondary raid IDE only.

The sata hardrive is connected to the top left in a bank of 4 sata connectors, the top marked “master”

The new DVD drive which is also sata, connects to the lower left marked “slave.”

Primary IDE is connected to the existing CDRW; I assume this previously shared with the old DVD writer.

When the restarting first happened it was only on a couple of accounts, now it is on all four accounts. The only way to properly shut down is to turn it off at the switch on the back.

It's driving me nuts any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

Primary IDE is connected to the existing CDRW; I assume this previously shared with the old DVD writer.

make sure the wide ribbon cable has the existing cdrw connected to the end and the drive is jumpered master

if this does not resolve the problem then disconnect the drive and test again
Chewy

#14 callista

callista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:09 PM

Still getting startup and restart problems .

I have removed the IDE cable from the primary IDE connection on the board to which the cdrw connects to the master, it was set to CS. The sata cable for the new dvdrw drive has been removed, neither cures the problems.

I have also turned off the auto restart function.

The bios has also turned on the Asus splash screen, and it wanted to install drivers for the onboard sound, this has now been disabled.

All I have achieved is to cut the restart time from about 10 seconds, down to 3 seconds!

This is really starting to become annoying, any ideas on what else I can try.

#15 callista

callista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:49 AM

Just bumping this one for any help please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users