Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Starting Everytime I Select A Document.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

Worked with a M$ Support Professional who helped me to install SP1 on my Vista Ultimate Machine. I had tried and could not get it to install but after much work finally did.

I almost wish I had left the machine alone because now whenever I try to access a Office 2007 program I get a Windows Installer popup saying "This Package Could Not be opened. Verify that the update packge exits...that it is a valid update installer package"

If I go to my documents and locate a word document, I am getting the same message. Same with Publisher.

I have tried to uninstall Office 2007 and it goes so far and stops. I've tried to install over the top of itself and it doesn't work.

If anybody has had this problem and corrected it, I would sure appreciate some help. I've been waiting for M$ support to contact me and haven't heard in days.

I don't want to refomat to correct this unless there is no other alternative. Thanks for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

[b]This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package.[/b]

CAUSE
This problem may occur if the registry contains Microsoft Windows Installer information from an earlier Office installation.

Microsoft article and fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295823

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:09 PM

The only problem is that I have Office 2007 installed. The Windows Clean Up Utility is not recommended for Office 2007 (It is for 2003!)

Thanks for the suggestion. Still looking for an answer.

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Sorry, didn't notice that 2007 wasn't included.

I'll try to come back with other suggestions.

#5 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

Thank you for the assistance. Everything else is working perfectly since I did the upgrade install. I hate to think of doing a format and install of Vista in order to correct this one problem with the Windows Installer. Has to be a way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users